• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

In Hunters' Safety they are teaching us.......when you pull the trigger, you squeeze your whole hand. I've heard the saying, squeeze, don't pull.

Do you squeeze your whole hand, and not just pull your finger? what are your thoughts? does one work better then the other?

Edited by Shrapnal, 28 March 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

I know what happens when somebody pulls my finger! :)

Seriously, both methods you are discussing aren't exactly correct in my opinion.

Squeezing your whole hand is not desirable because it's impossible to do this without the gun moving off target.

The same is true if you just use your finger but jerk the trigger too hard. In other words if you jerk the trigger with just your finger you will still move the gun off target.

The ideal way in my experience is to squeeze gently with just the trigger finger applying no more pressure than it takes to release the trigger. This is why after market trigger jobs and trigger sets are so popular. A clean breaking trigger that takes very little effort to work moves the gun off target the least with the least amount of practice. A good trigger is big contributing factor in how well the gun can easily shoot to it's accuracy potential.
Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

X2, Leo.:yes:

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

I like the "suprise fire" technique. Basically focusing on sight alignment and sight picture while slowly squeezing the trigger until the gun going off somewhat suprises you. Leo is dead on with the aftermarket triggers, a light trigger can improve accuracy.

Semper Fi

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

Agree with the above. I really like a trigger that does not move till it releases. With just pressure to set it off. I use the midpoint between my finger tip and first joint and apply gradually increasing pressure with just the finger. I also try to make my pressure as straight back as I can. When the rifle surprises you on firing to my mind means you are concentrating on something else other than when the gun is going to go off. This is good and can only be accomplished by practice. There are things called snap caps that will allow you to practice this even inside your house without undo wear and tear on the rifle.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I like all these responses. i too would think that the less movement it takes to set off the trigger the better. i did notice that when I concentrated more on the squeeze of my whole hand that the sight picture moved slightly, not letting my aimed shot stay where i wanted it. not sure why they would have us do this.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Shrapnal everyone is entitled to their opinion, some people can shoot like that, but they are few and far between....... most people are more comfortable with the suprise fire technique.... if you get into archery and shooting compounds with mechanical releases, this will come into play with hydraulic and back tension releases.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users