• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

so sad!!! yesterday was our last class. we got to shoot handguns. dang, those are fun!!!! i shot 5 different types. i was also the only lucky one tht got to shoot more once. I shot a 22, 9mm, 45,44,and 357. the last shot they gave me was a hot one. it shot a flame out the end of the barrel. that ws a lot of fun!!! if it wsn't such a pain to have a handgun here in canada, i would definately want one. but since you can't use it for hunting, and you have to get a permit just to take it to the range, it's not worth the effort.

can't wait till next week when I will pass the test and will be legal to go out with a gun. hoping to have lots of fun, being out in the wilderness. I will be taking the fed exam the same day. if I pass, next step would be choosing a gun. YAY!!!!! can't wait.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

Cool atleast yours wasn't a waste of time like the one I took at 12...... It was a 6 hr course taken on a Saturday that went over stuff I had been told my entire life... LOL
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Are all the instructors professionals. Many years ago I assisted in several what we call Hunter Education courses and that was a ton of fun and very fulfilling to do.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

PA,
Most of the instructors are merely people who have been in the sport for years and hope to give something back. A lot are members of organized sporting clubs, but not mandatory. They all have to have taken an instructors couse and usually must have to do a few courses under the watchfull eye of a master instructor to get their final approval. I do not believe that they receive pay for their efforts, or if they do, it is miniscule.

Unfortunately, like everything, there are good instructors and then again there are those that are good intensioned, but bad at instructing. For the PAL course (Possession and Acquisition Lisence) and the Hunter's Safety Training, whoever gives the actual training, is not supposed to give the exams. When my son and a friend of his took their training courses, the instructor was a retired police officer and he was excellent. Unfortunately, the person that gave the exam and the follow up exam reviews, was a retired teacher. How he ever made it through a teaching career is beyond me, because he was arogant and only seemed to be interested in pinning another "CUDOs" on his lapel rather than showing interest in his students' well being.

I personally used to be a qualified restricted weapons instructor (handguns) and had taken the first International Bowhunters Education Program instructors course ever given in Ontario about 20 years or so ago. I have taken the International Archery Association instructors course and provide instructions to youth groups within my sporting club when asked.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

The first time that I assisted was a draft. The instructor was a game commission officer and his assistant did not show up. He told me that although not impossible to teach without an assistant it would be hard to do. I told him I was a hunter with just about everything legal to hunt with and familiar with most firearms and archery equipment. He looked at me and said your are my assistant so I was pressed into service with no instruction. After the first night he told me I should go and get certified as an instructor as I was better than most of the people that had been doing it for years.

My pay was getting to hunt with him several times till he got transferred to another district.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Shrapnal

Shrapnal

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing, camping, and soon will be out hunting. :)

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

all of our instructors are volunteers. they do it because they are passionate about the sport (just like any other true hunter I've met) and want to pass it on to who ever is interested. of course, they are certified. they did a great job!!! they brought their own handguns. which ws very nice of them.

It was such a great course. all the instructors were great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users