• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

t was a beautiful sunny day and almost 40 degrees outside. I mean ... this is beautiful weather. So I decided to march through the snow and set up some targets. I looked at the rifles and decided to try some conicals out of the Knight LK-93. This rifle was a second hand purchase by me and the original owner was not real kind to the rifle and the bore suffered. I had JB Bore pasted the rifle twice, but the pitting and such is still very bad. But I decided to see if conical bullets would shoot out of it.

I wanted to use some Triple Seven 2f 70 grains worth. The .503 No Excuses conicals fit nice and snug in the barrel. You could push them down the bore with a thumb pressure, no short starter needed, then the range rod would seat them.

I was surprised how little that bulls eye looked through a 1X scope at 40 yards. But I started shooting anyway.

Posted Image

Over all the rifle shot conicals real well. I am tempted to do a mild lapp of the bore and then see what the rifle will do.

Posted Image

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Now that looks great for a pitted bore and all. From the looks of the holes those bullets are hitting real straight and close to each other. Maybe it was the snow that made them crowd together in the target for warmth. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

I wonder how well your Bighorn would shoot those conical bullets? They are a real deer stopper.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Cayugad that is a good question! Pop and I have only shot 300 grain XTP's but we may have to try those.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

I do have some bore size conicals that are nearly 500 grains that I may try in the bighorn. I have to shoot it a little anyhow as I replaced the scope and have only sighted it in. Besides I want to try something with the bore sighter that I did not do before and should have. I laser bore sighted the scope at 25 yds but it was too bright that day to see the laser spot at 50 yds. I shot it at 50 yds and it was high and about 2 inches left. What I want to check is to put the bore sighter in the muzzle and turn it on and turn it all the way around to see if the laser spot moves on the target. Oh yes more to do so I can burn a little powder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users