3 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

Leo, I wasn't selling the rifle I was buying it and wanted others opinion on it if it was a good buy or not.:rolleyes: Sorry if I did not explain it or post it properly. Is asking ones opinion not allowed? I have seen that on the forums before.

Steve

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

The problem was the rifle was being offered for sale to you by an individual.

Here is the reason this is an issue. You posted how much the guy wanted for the gun and it was obvious you knew him well and how to get in touch with him. You also made it clear you didn't know if you wanted the gun or not. If you decided you didn't want the rifle and someone else here says, "Ok then I'll take it." or someone says, they'll pay $50 more. What happens then, in reality, is you've just sold the gun on this site. That's something we can't do here even indirectly.

If it was a price at a name brand store you posted, no big deal, everyone would know where to go to get the deal and no one here is acting as a sales agent. If someone else wanted to get the rifle you asked about on here, first thing they would do is contact you. When they make contact about that gun you become the sales agent.

I know that wasn't your intention to sell the gun. But I hope you see my point. I'm just trying to keep us out of trouble.
Posted Image

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

Understood Leo. Thanks

Steve

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Ordinarily I don't support talking about a pulled topic/post on the open forums. (If you think about it, it stands to reason that if something was pulled then starting a new topic asking about it is likely to just be pulled too, right? We all try to send a private message any time we pull something. But, if ever someone doesn't you can always hit any of us with a private message yourself. The private system even allows you to invite more than one person to the conversation in case you're not sure who to address or you just feel the need to talk to more than one person in charge about a given situation.) Unfortunately, in this case, you're both right though. (Leo and I had this same discussion last night.) I don't believe for a minute that you were attempting to sell, or help sell, the firearm, Steve. (Leo doesn't either.) But, if it had come down to a scenario like Leo describes then, believe it or not, we (HR) would be viewed as providing the vehicle for an online private firearm transaction. I know that there are some sites who allow just that because they think that they are covered by some generic legalese about "not being liable for the actions of their membership". But, the truth is that thanks to certain laws firearms are different. You (the site) must actually be able to verify that firearms are being properly shipped FFL to FFL, just for starters, should the need ever arise if you are providing an avenue for their trade/sale/transfer. As the owner/operator of a site, simply throwing your hands up and saying, "I washed my hands of any trouble with my cheesy disclaimer", does not fly in this day and age when dealing with things that go "boom". I won't get into whether the system is good or bad. (We're probably being monitored by homeland security just for talking about it to this level. :lol: ) Suffice it to say that it's simply the hand that we've all been dealt. I, too, hope that you understand, bud.(FWIW... just a few less details and it probably would have stayed. :( )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users