14 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

OK now that I was straightned out by Leo I will reword. I bought a rifle and would like to know what you all think of it. It is a Remington 770 300 winmag bolt action black synthetic. I know I like the reports on it and am looking forward to using it.

Steve

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Honestly, I've heard mixed reviews, Steve. So, I'll be looking forward to what you have to say about it after you run some ammo through it. :thumbsup:

Some of the negatives I have heard is that it's made to a "cheaper" spec. This should be obvious based upon the price point alone. But, you still have folks out there trying to compare the 770 to "high-end" rifles which is just unfair, if not downright silly. Most of the complaints are little things like how the actions are pretty stiff out of the box. Truthfully, I'm finding that with just about every new firearm going these days. They all need to be stripped, cleaned, and lubed before anything else. (The actions on most are absolutely packed with cosmoline and won't hardly even cycle a round if they aren't treated right out of the box first.)

It seems that the majority of people who actually own them (and keep a realistic view of them) enjoy them. I hear a lot of comments like, "Not bad at all for the money." Hey, that's a comment I've made myself many a time about a lot of different things that I've happily owned.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

The 770 is supposed to be the improved version of the Remington 710. I haven't laid my hands on a 770 so I don't know much about them.

I've seen many complaints that the action can not be rebarreled. Personally I see this as more of a side note than an issue. These guns typically sell brand new for a little more or less than a rebarrel job would cost you. If you only run a box or two of shells through the gun a year the barrel will probably out last you.

I'll re-emphasize Jeremiah's comment about initial cleaning. Strip it apart and degrease everything with a good Gun Scrubber (including running some patches soaked in gun scrubber through the bore followed by a bore conditioner). Then re-lube the other parts with Breakfree CLP or Rem Oil.
Posted Image

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

http://www.gunmart.n.../remington_770/ The calbur has some serious long range potential, and this gun comes at a great price. As Leo said, re-barreling shouldnt be an issue with most owners, especially if one only shoots normal factory loads. If one likes the calbur, one can always upgrade if you feel the need to do so

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

I've shot the 770 synthetic in a 7mm and after 3 rounds I didn't want to pull the trigger a 4th time. A buddy of mine bought the gun and wanted to shoot it side by side with my Browning A bolt Medallion. One of the first things he did was recoil pads followed by a muzzle break. ( mind you the browning A bolt has the boss muzzle break standard )

Now the caliber...a 300 win mag, can't be beat. I've taken everything from white tails in North Dakota, to Elk in Colorado, Bison in Wyoming, Moose and Bear in Canada. It is an awesome caliber for any big game, and it will reach out there and touch something at 500 yards no questions. ( we have a bob cat silhouette gong target at the range at 510 and I can sit at the bench off of bi pods and ring it all day long.) mind you it took some shooting to figure out the ballistics for that range,

Like the others I'm looking forward to your report on how it shoots for you. If you put a muzzle break on it, don't forget your ear plugs in the left ear when you shoot. you won't hear out of that ear for 2 days following a few shots while hunting :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 rseven

rseven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

I am new on this board but I think I will enjoy it. My 14 year old son saved his money fora 770 30-06. I cleaned it well and we have put about two boxes through it. after two boxes break in and with 165grain core locks, the groups are 1" or so @100 yrds. Can't complain about that.

OK now that I was straightned out by Leo I will reword. I bought a rifle and would like to know what you all think of it. It is a Remington 770 300 winmag bolt action black synthetic. I know I like the reports on it and am looking forward to using it.

Steve

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

That's good to hear. I had been wondering about this one. I'm possibly in the market for my first .308 and don't want to get into a Weatherby (or fill in the blank) if I don't end up liking the caliber. So, something like a 770 or lower-level Savage has my interest.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

My son-in-law owns a 300 win mag in a Ruger rifle. I have shot it and the recoil was nothing like I expected. He really likes that caliber. I have never been a Remington guy but did own one years ago and aside from the wood stock warping in the front it worked well. I have heard too that the 770 is an upgrade to the 710. As already said clean it really well before use and take it to the range and see how it does.

Jere I believe you will like the 308. You can get close to a 30-06 in short and midrange performance but in a short action. I have a cousin that really loves his.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Kittrell127

Kittrell127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, is there anything else?

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

I am the proud owner of a brand new Remington 770 300 WIN MAG. I have two complaints. One the clip only holds three bullets, and the other is anyone who doubts this gun. I own a Remington 11-48 also. These two guns have made me a man who will swear by Remington. Being the grandson of a gunsmith, I have shot many different types of guns. The 300 WIN MAG that Remington makes is by far my favorite rifle, Browning has a 30-06 that comes in second which is followed by a mosin nagat. This being said order of shotguns are Remington, Savage, (Belgium) Browning, and Ithica. Steve, in my opinion, after running through a few boxes of shells and not losing a bit of accuracy, grouping with in a half of an inch at 200 yards, BEST RIFLE ON THE MARKET!!!!. And it is cheap. 

#10 Kittrell127

Kittrell127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, is there anything else?

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

oh almost forgot it is made in the USA

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have read good things and bad things about the model rifle you purchased.  I normally believe the rifle itself.  Clean it and take it to the range and let the rifle prove to you its value.  I am surprised by the caliber,  That is a lot of rifle there.  But having read and watched some hunting programs where the 300 Winchester Magnum was used, I must admit it had impressive knock down.

The only rifle I ever shot that was about the same caliber I think is, my brother in law owned a Weatherby 300 Mag (He called it).   I think it shot a different bullet then the Winchester Mag but I will not swear to it.  I shot his a few times on the range when I was considering an elk hunt out west.  I opted for a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag instead.  His rifle seemed like too much gun for me.  But I am sure yours will get the job done.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

The 300 win mag can be a handful. Ive had a few of them and even at my (over)weight they hammered me pretty good. One weighed 13# scoped and was still a handful.  A hunting friend bought a tikka  t3lite in 300 win mag. beautiful rifle, but not to shoot. a lot of 770's are pretty accurate despite the workingman's price point. good luck with it.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#13 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

You will like the 300 fine, Steve. They are pleasant to shoot, in some configurations. Others are brutal. I had a model 70 for one day, and sold it. My Browning  I shot for over 20 years, 100 rounds in a day at the range along with other monster mashers. Are you going to be handloading for it? If so, stay with the heavier bullets, as they retain more energy at longer ranges and don't tear up the smaller stuff anywhere near as much as the lighter ones. A 190 or 200 grain is optimal for the 300.

Jer, Don't cheap out on the 308, PLEASE! They are a super accurate caliber, pleasant to shoot, extremely easy to load for, not particular about powder selection and will reach a long ways. You will love it. It will do all you want and more with a 165 grain.

#14 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

I got a line on one of these pretty cheap. Am thinking on it. I have a 6-24 scope for it so it should zero ok at 500y to shoot on our 600y range. Just re read all the comments on the 770 in 300 win mag.  Hmmm

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#15 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hi guys , long time no see .. I myself have been looking at the rem. 770 in 300 and i like what i see . I'm going tomorrow to pick it up. 

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users