3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

For years now, I've longed to own a Howard Hill longbow and also a Black Widow recurve, but the high cost, or rather the lack of funds on my part, has always been the limiting factor in the acquisitions. I watch a lot of the online auction sites to keep an eye open for a good used bow, but the good ones in the poundage range I'd like, usually tilt the scales at almost new prices.

Frequently, the descriptions of the bows will indicate that the current and first owner of the bow, only recently purchased it within the past few months, didn't like it and is now selling it. A good Black Widow takedown will run over $1000. Man, I'd think if'n I was gon'na lay out that kind of cash for a toy, I'd wan'na make sure it was exactly what I wanted, as it'd be with me for life.

Some of the Black Widows and also some of the Howard Hills, have been custom built for the purchaser. They have their names personally inscribed on the bow right at the manufacturers. Well low and behold, I frequently find those personally inscribed $500 to $1000 bows on the auction sites for sale, and again some have only recently been purcheased within the past couple of years or even months. Yet there they are for sale.

I'm afraid if I were to ever purchase a bow of that calibre and had my name inscribed on it, the only time it would ever come up for sale is when the executor of my will figured it was time to clear out all of Geoff's toys and pay off the beneficieries of the will......That's right! I'd be dead!

From my perspective, personal inscriptions on bows, unless they're from a Fred Bear type celibrity, significantly reduces the value of the bow and makes it less marketable as there would be a cost or work requirement borne by the new owner to have it removed and to have the bow refinished.

Man oh man! What were they thinking?

Geoff / TBow

Edited by Geoff / TBow, 04 April 2011 - 07:52 PM.

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Back in the day when I competed with a stick bow the Hoyt was top dog everywhere you went. I do recall at a state shoot in Harrisburg at the farm show building and about half way through the shoot one of the guys using a black widow had just shot and was holding his empty bow and it litterally exploded in his hand. A few minutes later another black widow did the same thing sitting in the rack. Boy did the rest of the black widow shooters give their bows the third degree inspection. I never did find out what may have happened to those two particular bows. I had two bows break on me but I was in the act of drawing when it happened so stress cause the breakage. The stick bow that broke was a Ben Pearson bow and the compound was a very old Jennings.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

I only ever saw one bow crack the limbs and it was a xbow. It was a Jennings Devastator and as was described to me, it was very characteristic of the Devastators for that to happen. I believe they made them in a 120 and also 150 lb model. Biggest piece of junk on the xbow market as far as I was concerned. The metal risers also had a habbit of stripping the threads where the sights anchored at the rear. They weighed a ton too.

I did see a bow that had delaminated the limbs once, but was not there to witness the event.

Your comments on the Widows is interesting. I've never heard of that happening to them, but will tend to shy away from any of the older Widows for sure if I see them advertised. Were they one piece of takedowns?

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

It was a long time ago and I am not sure whether they were one piece or takedowns. To pick one would not be fair. They were the only two Black Widows I ever knew of to do that.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users