• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

Its the 4th day of a 5 day hunt, you stalk to with in 170 yards of this nice 4x4 buck, he has everything you want, mass, highth, points but is on the line for width, you have not see anyother bucks that match this one, but you know there are bucks that are bigger in the area, you have saved up for this hunt and it took you 6 years to draw this tag,

Do you let him walk in hopes of finding one bigger,

Or do you put him on the wall

Posted Image
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

If I saved up for this hunt, and it took 6 years to draw the tag, then for me, it deffinately not a "meat" hunt. I won't shoot until I get an opportunity at what I consider to be a trophy, I don't need to just "fill a tag".

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Bang!

What was the question?

If he is truly close to what I've been hunting for I would even shoot him on the first hour of the first day with no regrets. I would have accomplished my goal and met the standard I set for myself. I'd be a happy man.
Posted Image

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

For the cost of a hunt & especially for having to wait so long to draw a tag....I am not going home empty handed. As we used to say it here in PA before the Antler restrictions were started... if its brown (and legal) its down!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

If it is the 4th day of a 5 day hunt and you have not scored you obviously have not seen a bigger animal or at least not got within range of one. To me it would represent a good trophy so like Leo said BANG.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:26 AM

I would shoot too. For me, the size of the deer woudn't matter nearly as much as the memories of the hunt. Spot and stalk hunting out west for mule deer would be a totally different and incredible experience IMO (nothing against whitetails in MN of course). I would take the buck home and put it on the wall proud that my six years paid off.
-Eric

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shooting just because I want to fill a tag. For me here the key statement of the situation is that the buck has the points, the height and mass I'm looking for. He is only slightly lacking in one criteria I've had six years to think about and that is width. If I have done a good job setting realistic expectations and goals for myself in my six years of planning then meeting three out of four criteria is an excellent win.

In my experience even when you are hunting areas that have tremendous potential and reputation for trophy animals, the animals that have everything are still very rare. Animals that have almost everything are not common either.
Posted Image

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

I gotta go with Leo, Run, WT, and PA...... He's as good as in the freezer and on the wall if he's legal.
Semper Fi

#9 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

If thats the case, why would you save up your money and wait 6 years for a tag, when all you were really interested in was a decent Mulie? Why, if you only wanted a decent one, would you not just go get an over the counter tag? A 6 year wait for a tag would mean you were quite selective about the area you wanted to hunt. Again, it was a very decent mulie, is it the "one" you waited and saved for? 2 days left to hunt in an area you picked, because you knew it had bigger deer....... Or an otc tag in a good area every year?

#10 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

all good answers,

I made my hunter wait and not shoot, 3 hours later we had this guy on the ground, 3x4 one tine broke off when the buck fell, he is 28 wide, and very tall,

Posted Image

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Very good!

The moral of the story. If you save up for the hunt of a lifetime and draw a hard to get tag, save up enough to hire a guide that knows the area well and listen to him!
Posted Image

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

there are a couple of ways to look at it, if you can go home with tag soup but still enjoyed the time in the field and happy with your choices....don't pull the trigger.
on the other hand, don't pass up on the first day what you would consider a trophy on the last :)

also...trophy doesnt always mean bigger.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

Excellent point Bruce. I have been there. Drew a limited access permit in New Mexico and chased huge muley bucks for a week without getting a shot. To me the buck shown in the picture would represent a real trophy hence my decision to shoot. There was nothing said about someone beside me that knew the area and the bucks i.e. a guide. I had to make up my own mind and I still would have shot if alone and had to make the decision myself with no regrets.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users