Photo

Didn't Hear Any Gobble This Morning But It Didn't Matter!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

This morning was silent. Owl hooting and crow calling got no answer. Been the way of it every time I've got to go this season.

A little discouraged, I set up in some open pines near a field edge I found some tracks in and just started some blind calling. Finally at 8:05am I spot a tom entering the sour grass 200 yards away. I call he answers! Breaks into strut. 15 minutes later I've got three jakes within 15 yards of me. One of the jakes is sporting a 7-8" beard. Almost a shooter but the one in the field dwarfs him.

The jake gang sees the gobbler and goes out to harass him. They change their minds when they get closer and keep their distance! It takes me until 8:44am to finally get this bird into range. Almost 40 minutes of strutting and gobbling. It was awesome. I just knew a hen was gonna intercept him but God was kind to me this morning! Thank you Lord!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

10 3/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs, 22lbs a really fine bird! I'm ecstatic!
Posted Image

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Way to go Leo........ I may have to take up gobbler getting LOL
Semper Fi

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

That is always freaky when it is just dead silent and then they DO gobble once actually well in sight and closing. Makes you think, "What in the world had their tongue 'til now?" Oh well. Way to lay down yet another walnut-brain. (So dumb that they're smart. :D )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Now that was a good morning turned great. A great example of what you have preached to all of us for years and that is patience kills turkeys. Congratulations to a gentleman and a scholar.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:50 AM

Nice!! - Patience is definitely the key.. Great pics too.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

That is always freaky when it is just dead silent and then they DO gobble once actually well in sight and closing. Makes you think, "What in the world had their tongue 'til now?" Oh well. Way to lay down yet another walnut-brain. (So dumb that they're smart. :D )

I really think air movement is very often a culprit on the silent days. A light breeze going from you to the bird can make a close gobble seem incredibly distant or totally mask it. Watching that bird yesterday at 200 yards I could see him stretch his neck out and gobble but barely hear him. If I couldn't see him doing this I would have dismissed the faint gobble I heard as one from a bird that was out of range. The good news is I know he could hear me very well. I also believe thermal movement really plays havoc with the ability to hear a gobble as well. I don't know how many times I've started on a ridge, heard nothing, went down in a valley and heard gobbling on the ridge I was just on. I've learned it's not wise to lean too hard on hearing especially on the mostly "silent" days.
Posted Image

#7 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

Now that is what I am talking about.

Congrats Leo!
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Dang Leo, your a serious turkey killer. Congratulations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users