4 replies to this topic

#1 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:51 AM

Since carpal tunnel surgery shot a nice bird last week with my 20 guage. Went Saturday am. Heard a bird onanother property. My husband called at 7:20 & he had shot a nice bird - 10" beard (we had scouted him out the day before). I decided to sit a little longer. I hit the box call a few times & looked t my right and there he was!! no sound just strutting around. when he eased in front of me I shot - and missed!!! (20 guage doesn't reach as far). So I gathered up my things & went back to look at my husband's bird & get his 12 guage & a decoy. I went back to the same spot - had built a nice blind between a pine & cedar tree. I decided I was going to sit until at least 12:00. I called a few times and about 11:00 I heard a turkey gobble behind me. he came to check me out. Looked at the decoy & wasn't going to chase her - if she wanted hiim she was going to have to go to him. He strutted around out of gun range. I watched him walk off behind me - still goggling. I turned where I might be able to get a better shot. Called again - he answered!! He eased back into the pines where I was & when I could I shot. I knew I hit him when he tried to fly to the nearest tree & couldn't. But he wouldn't fall down. He started running in the direction of the road about 150 yards!! So of course I got up to head him off. Just a note it is really hard to shoot a running turkey while you are running too (don't know what I was thinking). Suddenly he turned & ran straight toward me. Won't lie I screamed in the woods by my self while a wounded turkey runs after me. He finally met with a stiff branch to thePosted Image head. This turkey had 2 beards!!! 11 30/32 & 8 3/4 with 1 1/8 spurs.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

WOW!!! Two multi-beards in one season! That's absolutely unprecedented in my book. Sounds like that bird almost wanted you to have him.

BTW, the 20ga is not nearly the disadvantage it once was. This is due to the current advances in shells and chokes. It takes some work and experimentation but it is absolutely possible to get a 20ga to be a consistent 50yd gun.

Nice to see your smiling face on the forum again!

Edited by Leo, 18 April 2011 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Okay, now you're just showin' off. :P
Congrats... again. :D

(Is it April 30th yet?! :unsure: PA season opener... |(*,) )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

Nice bird Vicky, way to go!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Double wow. Never been chased by a lovesick turkey but now you have. What a story. It conjures up some rather amusing images in my mind. Congratulations on your second bird.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users