Too Easy...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Well, this spring gobbler season has proven to be very interesting thus far. First, I found out only a short time before opener that I can no longer draw my new bow. (Less than one year old and was acquired with 50 lb. limbs just for the purpose of being "easy drawing" for this arthritic body.) So, I was left with a choice... shotgun or crossbow. I've really grown fond of bowhunting turkey, so I opted for the next best thing.

I tell ya... it's a good thing that these crossbows are so easy. I've air-mailed shots over the backs of two gobblers thus far and just grazed the belly of a third this morning. :blink: The sad part is that the first one was no more than 15 yards away. For the life of me, I don't know what's up with any of the misses. I've already triple checked the crossbow. It's dead on at the range. I've had a steady rest... wasn't even particularly nervous by the THIRD time today either. Oh, this morning I even had time to range the silly walnut-brain. There's just no excuse. I've never missed more with any other weapon I've ever handled and I've only owned this contraption for 10 months. :lol: |(*,)

This morning's hunt was particularly interesting/trying in that I also had a bearded hen hang around the decoys almost all morning. At one point, I was going to shoot as the regulations here simply state "bearded bird" and not specifically a male bird. But, the more I thought about how she was hanging around the more I convinced myself that she must have a nest in the area. I was torn... on one hand, I'd likely have a bearded hen mounted. It's something I'd really like to do. But, the thought of leaving a whole nest of eggs to the fox/'yotes/'coons just didn't sit well. At the point I shot at the gobbler, this bearded hen was right outside my blind window though. She definitely was just begging to be shot. :P I'm glad I didn't though.

I'm thinking the crossbow needs to stay at home 'til fall. I just don't know... time for the "ease" of a scatter gun, maybe. Hope everyone else is doing better than me. (Not that I haven't had my chances!)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Go get the scattergun and get back out there! I love to bowhunt too but I have absolutely no guilt whatsoever about taking the shotgun for gobblers.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

I got a bearded hen a couple of years ago in Kansas. It did just about everything that a gobbler does except gobble. It sure had me convinced I shot a 9 1/2 inch beard gobbler. She would strut and even had a pale red head. When I found out it was actually a hen I felt bad but now wish I had gotten it mounted. I have toyed with the thought of taking my crossbow out but I have two tags for PA and maybe after the first one is down I might consider to do it. From Mon - Fri last week I hunted all but one day and did not even hear a gobble all week. Hunted with Eric Sat and still no gobbles. This week I am hearing some gobbling but so far nothing willing to commit to that really sexy seductive hen hidden in the brush nearby.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users