Tc Icon 308

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

I remember back to when I was 14 years old and my dad took me to a gun shop that a guy ran out of his home, and we picked up a marlin 22 bolt action. My very first rifle. and one that I have never parted with. Over the years Ive bought and sold a number of guns, trying to keep upgrading as I went, but occassionaly making a mistake and letting one go that I wish I hadn't. My first deer rifle was a Rem BDL 243 ( that is one I wish I had never sold ) years later I ve purchased a couple of savage 243's traded and got a Ruger Ultra light 243, always loved that calibur for coyotes and deer. Well I ran into a bit of a problem here in Colorado. You see a 243 is considered a big game rifle. You can hunt elk with it. Now with the proper bullet and shot placement, I have no doubt you could take an elk with a 243, however Id feel much better using my 300 win mag. but I digress. you see, if you go out coyote hunting in colorado, and it is a big game season. you are not allowed to shoot anything bigger then 6mm. 6mm = 240 so I can't take my fav rifle that I had set up for coyotes out, if there is elk/bear/ deer or another big game season in progress. This drove me to purchas a ruger 223. So now my old trusted 243 that I've had for years just sat in the gun safe, every once in a while getting a trip to the range, but really not being shot that much. So last fall I went on an antilope hunt with Huck, and not even thinking about it, I grabbed my 300 win mag. its taken everything from deer, bear, elk, moose, coyotes and now I added a speed goat to the list of harvested game. But honestly, it was over kill. So since last fall I've been dreaming, what is a good mid range rifle cal and then what brand would I want. I kept coming back to the 270 and the 308. All my friends growning up in North Dakota shot 270's...all their dads shot 30-06. and I took a lot of grief for pulling out my little 243. So I'm going back and forth in my head, which would I prefer, the 270 or the 308.
Then a buddy says hey check out the rifle I picked up for my wife. he pulls out a T/C ICON sportsfield model in 308. topped it off with a Burris 3x12 44mm signature scope and we go out shooting.
Can you say SWEET. ok I just found my dream gun and round. This will fit perfectly between my 223 and my 300 win and man its a tack driver. So I started playing around with the idea of selling my 243. Honestly I don't like getting rid of guns...but if you are not using it, I would prefer it to go someplace where someone is going to enjoy it as much as I did when I first purchased it. I checked on trade ins and talked to a few buddies. No one really seemed interested in it. Then I walk in to Bass Pro and here on the shelf are 3 TC Icon's 308 on close out. apparently something is going on that BP is not going to stock the TC line any more ( according to the guy behind the counter at the Denver store ) and they have them marked down almost 300 dollars. Man do I want that gun...but I have an agreement with my wife, guns being bought and sold that is my money , or side jobs will cover something, but I'm not dropping any plastic to buy a new gun, and the next item on the to do list is a new tile floor in her laundry room, soooo my debit card had to stay in my pocket.
A few weeks later I stop back in and 2 of the 3 are sold. There is only one left.....nope I'll stick by my promise, her tile floor comes first and no plastic is to be used. I go home and its killing me, This is one heck of a deal on the exact rifle I'm wanting to get..and I'm letting it pass me by. Oh well maybe it wasn't to be.
Now I took the 243 with me to a gun shop and had it appraised, and by chance it was still in my truck, when I get a call on my radio at work, there is someone here to see you. Its one of the contractors who does work for me. I meet him out in the parking lot and he has this big grin on his face and says...you gotta see the deal I just made and he pulls out a ruger ranch rifle, composit stock, stainless with a 25 round clip. Now this guy is always horse trading and wheeling and dealing. I've seen him trade mtn bikes for atv's and anything you can imagin. He's just one of those guys who is always falling into deals. I had no clue he was into guns as well. Turns out he isn't. Has no clue what he bought, just knows he got a good deal on it. So he is asking me all these questions about the 223 he just bought and I am explaining what type of gun it is, what it is used for, ( mostly coyote hunting ) but you are not going to go out and drive tacs at 250 yards with it. its good to out to 100 - 150. and he asks, well what is a good gun to go longer range with? We talk for a while and I'm explaining what I shoot and distances and such. and it hits me, my 243 is in the truck. So I go get it and his eyes light up. next thing I know we are shaking hands on a deal and he just bought my 243.
Now he is playing around with the idea of wanting to trade me the ranch rifle and some cash for the 243..but I'm thinking...wonder if that Icon has sold yet. Let me make some calls and if its sold, I'll think about a trade, but if its not, here is the price.

Now I'm all most scared to call down to BP and ask if that last Icon 308 is still there. It has been weeks since I was down there, and there were many guys picking it up and looking it over when I was there. So I make the call. I'm floored when I hear, yep it is the last one and it is sitting here on the shelf. But I can't making it down there till this weekend. Can I put a deposit on it for you to hold it. I'm a seriouse buyer. Nope we don't do that and nope we only do a 24 hour hold. dang.
The guy asks you cant run over one evening? Nope I live over 100 miles away and I'm booked with work right now, side jobs following my reg job. I just can't make it till the weekend. Then I touch the nerve that all husbands understand. yea I almost bought it when I was down there 2 weeks ago, but I had to convince my wife I needed another gun. The guy on the other end of the phone busts up laughing and says give me your name and phone number, I'm putting it in the vault for you. He has called me each day asking, are you coming this weekend? Yes sir I am.... Ok lets put it on a 24 hour hold for you :)

So I guess maybe it was to be. This weekend, I'm running down to Denver and picking up my T/C Icon 308. and a set of scope rings. for now I've got some cheap scopes floating around I'll toss one on it....till after my wife gets her new tile floor and then I can start squirling money away for a nice 4x12 :) but that is going to be another story I'm guessing :)

I'll let ya know how it shoots after I get it out to the range, but if its even close to the one I've already shot....I may have found a new love :)

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Congrats Bruce. I really like the 308WIN. Taken many deer with that caliber. Try some 165 grain Sierra GAMEKINGS loaded by Federal ;) Those are the most accurate factory hunting loads I found for 308win. Federal also loads the MATCHKINGS. They are extremely accurate but NOT good for hunting. The MATCHKINGS in 308WIN taught me an important lesson. ITS NOT ALL ABOUT PLACEMENT! I never lost any deer using Matchkings but I had some very long recoveries because of inconsistent terminal performance. The 165gr GAMEKINGS seem to be perfect for 308WIN velocities on deer. I feel they are probably too soft for faster 30 cals. But that's OK. They are a lot of bullets that are specifically made for the faster uber mag 30 cals that are too hard to perform consistently at 308WIN velocities. Keep that in mind when selecting bullets for that caliber and you'll be much happier with it.
Posted Image

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Leo. I'm a bit partial to Noslers, guess its gonna be time to set up my reloading stuff and start building some rounds up :) man I haven't done that in years, but nothing like figuring out that perfect combination for a tack driver. :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

Bruce I am sure you are going to like both the rifle and caliber. I am like you in that I seldom get rid of a gun once acquired. I too love the 243 and that is one of the few guns I traded. I had put many hundreds of rounds through it and the barrel was beginning to wear. I traded it to a collector even up for a 270 and really like that one too. I now have my dad's 243 so still have one. I do not own a 308 and the only time(s) I have shot that round was through an M-60 machine gun. I do have several friends that shoot the 308 and love it for everything up to and including deer.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ok this is just plain mean, the wife says we aren't going to denver till the house is clean....man talk about not playing fair :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

We can only grin and bear it. The fact is we all are in the same boat as the wife about ah hour ago wanted me to go to the garage and get a large plastic bag. 45 Minutes later and boo koo jobs later I was done and my back aches and fingers burn from changing a light bulb while standing at the top of the steps on a step stool to accomplish the bulb task. One thing I remember about the 308 that is real positive is that it was once used by many as a 1000 yd caliber and did very well. Now that you know that you dare not miss at any target less than 400 yds.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 14 May 2011 - 05:23 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Great story Bruce! Don't you love it when it all comes together like that?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

http://www.tcarms.co...rearms/icon.php heck of a gun! My son and I recently acquired a .308 from a different manufacturer, and will use it for different reasons( target competition) , but will be reloading a number of different bullets and powders, will pass on our results to you. Called a friend who works for a sherrifs dept. in La. and ask him what he used in his .308 for hunting, and he really liked the store bought Federal ammo, was not impressed with Hornady.

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

yea larry...there is more to the story....when I got to BP...the gun wasn't there....the guy helping me was ######...the guy I had been dealing with was off that day, no one knew where the rifle went and no one remembered seeing it or selling it. Finaly someone says...check down at that end ot the counter. Sure enough someone took it out of the vault and put it back on the shelf....but it hadn't sold whoever put it back out, put it in the wrong section. It was just sitting back there waiting.

Duck..I'd love to hear about loads for it. I've had it out to the range a couple of times took a bit to get it sited in..but once it was....sweet sweet sweet :) I'm looking forward to using it this elk season :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Sounds like a good rifle. I've seen ads for them on outdoor tv channels and they look...tempting. Good luck with it at 400 and at 1k. Keep us posted.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

The .308 is a great caliber. I almost purchased one just to own one. When I got my first "Big Game Rifle" my Dad and I went to a sports shop. I wanted a .308 but settled for a 30-06 instead. About the same caliber. Hard hitting, accurate, easy to find ammo (have you see the price of ammo lately!!)

I think you're going to love that rifle. I handled an Icon at a sports shop. The balance of that rifle is outstanding. Keep us posted with your shooting results.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Congrats Bruce. I've long been a T/C fan. I hope it makes you a great rifle.

#13 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Try some of Hornady Superformance ammo in your .308. The new powders they use has brought the .308 performance up to the level of any 30-06. Also for really long range try HSM Trophy Gold 168 VLD ammo, it's pretty amazing stuff .
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

thanks for the tips guys....yea I need to get back to the range and get some time in on that rifle. although elk season for me isn't till Oct.... that is only 12 weekends away :)
I'll keep ya all posted :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users