• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf1723

lonewolf1723

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

I have a couple questions. I'm planning on buying a TC Triumph Bone Collector in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of using either 777 or Pryodex Select. So my questions are these. From experience which is the best? Is it correct that you can get the same velocities using less 777 OR as I have read you should reduce the 777 by 10-15%? Just for comparisions I am looking at using either the 260gr or 300gr Scorpion PT Gold bullets with their Crushed Sabots.

As for another question, in the old days 25-30 years ago, we use to slug the barrels to find out what the proper size diameter ball to use with the proper thickness of patch to use. Would this something I could also do with the TC Bone Collector to find out the proper size bullet, either .451 or .452 and sabot to use? Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by lonewolf1723, 22 May 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

The confusion with 777 is that pesky 15%. Now if you are comparing 777 loose to the other loose powders it is 15% stronger than the others, but the power of 777 in pellet form is equal to the other pellets. In other words 50 grains of loose 777 is 15 % stronger than 50 grains of Pyrodex but a 50 grain 777 pellet is comparable in power to a Pyrodex 50 grain pellet.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 lonewolf1723

lonewolf1723

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hey thanks. I was planning on using the loose powder. From my experience shoting black powder 25-30 years ago I like being able measure out the loads . I'll just need to remember to reduce the loads when I start out until I find the most accurate one. Thats again

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

Lonewolf I being from PA am primarily a flintlock shooter. This is because we have a special flintlock season which I really like to hunt in. I do have a sidelock percussion rifle and a Knight inline which I also use. Many hunters using a front loader do not enjoy the trial and error of finding the best load for their particular rifle, I do. In addition, being from PA's ridge and valley area the folage and forest are not conducive to long shots. I am not one of those who dress in buckskins and only use a PA or Kentucky long rifle but do hold a flintlock as a first love. I suppose that is the reason I only use loose powder today even in my inline. My Knight inline really likes 85 gr of 2F Goex behind a 300 grain Hornady XTP bullet in a Harvester crush rib sabot.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

For what it's worth I find that 777 burns cleaner and that's why I switched to it from Pyrodex.

Edited by Spirithawk, 23 May 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Personally, if I had the choice I would shoot Pyrodex RS out of the powders you mention. No need to pay extra for the select. RS will do the same thing.

As for why Pyrodex over 777... cost is one factor. Pyrodex is cheaper in most stores. Not much cheaper but when you add three or four bucks by twenty pounds a year, it adds up. Also they both have fouling so you are going to be swabbing between shots for the best accuracy. The difference in fouling is Triple Seven is a hard fouling. I am sure you've heard of the dreaded crud ring. Pyrodex is a softer fouling. Last, since I clean my rifles after I shoot... I don't worry about corrosion. Now if you were going to shoot and then leave the rifles fouled for several days.. then you'd be better off with Triple Seven.

As for power.. all of them can be made to shoot. I find Pyrodex is easier to find a sweet load. And 100 grains of any powder is all the thump you need.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 lonewolf1723

lonewolf1723

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks cayugad

Yeah I've heard of "hard fouling" but didn't know there would be a difference since like you I plan on cleaning after every shot. I use to shot the more traditional MLs 25-30 years ago and always cleaned the the barrel after every shoot. Back then using black powder you almost had to. That's one of the main reasons I plan on buying a 50cal TC Bone Collector. I really liked all the reviews I read about it especially their Speed XL Breech. I plan on using either Harvesters PT Gold Scoripion 260gr or 300gr .45cal bullets with their Sabots. So my question is this. In one of Harvesters brochures that they sent me they show using FFFg powderand not FFg. Is this correct or would I use FFg? Thanks again for your comments.

Personally, if I had the choice I would shoot Pyrodex RS out of the powders you mention. No need to pay extra for the select. RS will do the same thing.

As for why Pyrodex over 777... cost is one factor. Pyrodex is cheaper in most stores. Not much cheaper but when you add three or four bucks by twenty pounds a year, it adds up. Also they both have fouling so you are going to be swabbing between shots for the best accuracy. The difference in fouling is Triple Seven is a hard fouling. I am sure you've heard of the dreaded crud ring. Pyrodex is a softer fouling. Last, since I clean my rifles after I shoot... I don't worry about corrosion. Now if you were going to shoot and then leave the rifles fouled for several days.. then you'd be better off with Triple Seven.

As for power.. all of them can be made to shoot. I find Pyrodex is easier to find a sweet load. And 100 grains of any powder is all the thump you need.
[/quote]

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

3f VS 2f powder used to be a real debatable issue. But using 3f has now become very common. I still shoot a lot of 2f only because I get better accuracy with it. If a book calls for 100 grains of 3f as the load, just try 110 grains of 2f instead. It will do the same thing. Although 3f is a finer grade and people claim it goes off better. Personally if the gun is prepared properly before loading, I never could see the difference.

I do shoot 3f in my flintlocks and also when shooting conical bullets. Only because it claims you get a little faster push up the barrel. Although one of my conical shooters likes 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f. So it boils down to... what the rifle likes.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Personally, if I had the choice I would shoot Pyrodex RS out of the powders you mention. No need to pay extra for the select.

+1

i tried Select: It was no better than Pyrodex RS. With Pyrodex i was always able to re-load my gun three or four times without swabbing. i could never do that with 777 because of the awful crud ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users