Crawfish Boil

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

Today the wife and I hosted a small crawfish boil. I drove 3 hrs round trip to pick up the crawfish. Spent 3 hrs purging them, and realized how bad I had been taken on the crawfish. I paid for 33lbs, and ended up with about 25lbs left after picking out all the dead ones. Needless to say I will NOT be buying anymore crawfish from Shavers in Shreveport LA. The size was not there, and those of you who have bought live crawfish know that when you buy them they should be in good enough shape to stay alive for a day or 2 in the bag so long as they are kept damp and cool. These didn't even make an hour and a half trip to my house. But, on to the better part of the story. We only had 3 guests, but it was a fun time. My long time friend Susan came over as well as mine and my wife's friend Erin, and my wife's co-worker Jackie. Erin and myself are both experienced crawfish eaters, but my wife, Jackie and Susan were all new to the experience. Bearing that in mind I made sure to cook the crawfish to the best of my ability. We also dropped 2 summer sausages, about 10 red potatoes, and a few ears of corn into the pot. All in all it was an enjoyable experience once I got home and got it all cooked. Any of you who have never had crawfish much less cooked them yourself I would urge you to consult with someone who is experienced before trying it yourself. My recipe is simple. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Mix in Tony Chacherie's to taste (the more you put in the spicier it gets), Add the potatoes and allow them to cook through the first 3 or 4 batches of crawfish until they start to float. You put the crawfish into the boiling water live. The crawfish are ready when they start to float. Add in the corn while cooking the crawfish, as well as the sausage and make sure everything is cooked all the way through.

To "purge" the crawfish you dump them into a cooler and fill it with clean water. Some people add salt some don't it's all dependant on who is doing the purging. I prefer to use salt. Every 15 minutes empty the water and refill the cooler until the water remains clear after 15 minutes.

My question is who all here is an experienced mudbugger, and what do ya'll do differently?
Semper Fi

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

I've never prepared them and only eaten them once or twice. Personally, I thought they were good. Unfortunately, it's just not a readily available food in my area; unless you count Popeye's fast food joint. :lol:
I used to hand-catch messes of crawfish while summer wading local creeks as a youth. But, I generally just released them if nobody wanted them for fishing. I rarely even eat the fish caught around here, let alone crustaceans, as the PCBs and other toxins in our waterways are so high.

Interesting topic though.
Waiting for some nice member to invite me over for a crawfish boil. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Well Jere, It's probably gonna be March or April before I try another crawfish boil due to the season (better quality crawdads) running from about November-May most years. I was pushing the envelope with doing a crawfish boil in June, but I figured early June it should be an ok time to do it. Didn't factor in the 90+ degree temps........ I'm just kinda lucky to live close to the LA line, and most of the time noone knows crawdads better than cajuns.
Semper Fi

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

I used to bring amess of crawfish home when I went fishing. Mom didnt know how to do a boil so we made them like lobster. It was good. I've add crawfish done in a boil & loved it.

Has anyone tried the precooked crawfish from the grocery store? Are they worth it?

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

WT I wouldn't touch the grocery store crawfish just off the smell...... It doesn't even sound appetizing when you think some kid getting paid minimum wage, or just over it, is boiling a "shellfish" which you will be eating...... I just can't get past that fact...
Semper Fi

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hmmm just ran back across this post....... I think it might be about time to make a trip down to cajun country for some crawdaddys......
Semper Fi

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

It should be good to get them now Terry!
Posted Image

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Leo, I know, it's right at the height of the season... Makes my mouth water just thinking about it... LOL
Semper Fi

#9 lacrawfish

lacrawfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

Live Crawfish from the #1 shipper of Louisiana Crawfish from the family that grows them.  No one beats our crawfish quality, service and price.  Shipping and Crawfish Seasoning Included.  Live Crawfish, Boiled Crawfish, Crawfish Tails, Cajun Meats, Alligator, Gulf Shrimp.. Read more at: http://www.lacrawfis...awfish-C29.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users