#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

Yesterday I found a Rhino baitcasting reel in the garage that my dad must have bought at some point but forgot about. Anyway, I was looking to buy a rod to put it on instead of letting it collect more dust. I was looking for a multi-species rod that could be used for everything from bass to pike to walleye. Not wanting to spend much money, I was looking at either an Ugly Stik or a Whuppin' Stick from Cabela's, but I'm willing to consider anything in the sub $40 price range.

I've had good experiences with Ugly Stiks, and I'm pretty sure a Whuppin' Stick is basically the same but just with a Cabela's logo.

Also, what length and power would you recommend? Any other suggestions? I'm thinking it will mostly be used for trolling spoons or spinners, but I will probably use it for casting a little too.

Thanks
Eric
-Eric

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

Yesterday I found a Rhino baitcasting reel in the garage that my dad must have bought at some point but forgot about. Anyway, I was looking to buy a rod to put it on instead of letting it collect more dust. I was looking for a multi-species rod that could be used for everything from bass to pike to walleye. Not wanting to spend much money, I was looking at either an Ugly Stik or a Whuppin' Stick from Cabela's, but I'm willing to consider anything in the sub $40 price range.

I've had good experiences with Ugly Stiks, and I'm pretty sure a Whuppin' Stick is basically the same but just with a Cabela's logo.

Also, what length and power would you recommend? Any other suggestions? I'm thinking it will mostly be used for trolling spoons or spinners, but I will probably use it for casting a little too.

Thanks
Eric

Ugly Sticks are good trolling rods but I've honestly found them to be extremely lacking in the casting department. I own a couple of them and if I plan on doing a lot of casting that day the Ugly Sticks stay at home. A 6ft medium action should serve you well for most trolling applications. Sometimes you want a super long limber rod for trolling but that's a more specific kind of trolling.

For casting, look for a trigger stick straight butt 7ft rod with fuji guides and an IM6 blank. A telescoping base is a better compromise than a two piece because the two piece rod construction eats up casting ability as well.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users