New Hobby?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well all as an "early Father's Day present" my father-in-law dropped the $$$ to get me a lead furnace. I just ordered the molds, and a dipping ladle, and I'm gonna start casting my own bank sinkers out of used wheel weights that I can get free from the local tire shops.I figure even if they have some other alloy in them they'll work just fine to drop a fishing line to the bottom of a river. Plus later on if I get into reloading I already have the furnace and ladle to pour my own bullets. All I'll need is the molds for the bullets, and some higher grade lead. I'm not about to send tire weight lead down the barrel of my rifles or shotguns. I can see this as a hobby that takes me away from things for a while and lets me just focus on what I'm doing at the time. because Heaven help me if I lapse in concentration and drip hot lead on my skin. LOL Something tells me if that happens my son will learn a few new words that my wife will kill me over. LOL
Semper Fi

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Terry you are right about having to be careful while casting lead. When I did that I always wore a pair of thick but loose fitting gloves. Loose fitting gloves would let me fling them off in case of a splash or spill so in case they would burn through I could get rid of the glove to avoid getting burned. Working with gloves on feels a little like going swimming with your clothes on but will save your skin which tends to burn rather quickly.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Paul, I understand.... I also got a MIG welder for Father's Day. So I'm gonna end up getting some welding gloves and they should more than suffice to keep the molten lead off my hands. Hmmm kinda ironic, everything I got for Father's Day I'm gonna end up doing work with....... And I'm happy about it. LOL Must be getting mature in my old age. LOL
Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

One big caution. Don't let water anywhere near your molds! Even a mold that was wet and then wiped "dry" might not be safe. Just a tiny bit of moisture can make lead squirt back out of the mold with dangerous force! I witnessed my Dad making that error and he almost lost both eyes. He had both eyes patched and was completely blind for almost a week.

That was a lesson in the reason for wearing eye protection I never forgot!
Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

Leo, in other words, using the faceshield welding helmet with the shade flipped up would be a great idea (don't like the autodarkening because I just don't trust them) I went old school with my welding helmet much rather know my eyes are protected than leave it to electronics to protect my eyes. The helmet I got has the flip up dark lens with a clear lens under it.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 20 June 2011 - 12:09 PM.
spelling

Semper Fi

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Well all got all the gear in, just gotta get some lead, and that's just a matter of going to get it...... and here is the set up I'm gonna be working with..

Posted Image
Semper Fi

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

Starting out by casting sinkers will teach you the how to's. You also do not have to worry much about your lead mix like you do with bullets. Be sure to get some flux material and be very careful when using it as it reacts with molten lead but makes the dross really come to the top which should be skimmed off. A metal spoon is good for doing that. Again be careful and go slow and do it outside of your house.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Paul when you say flux material are you talking about beeswax as just one example?
Semper Fi

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Yes beeswax is good. I believe there are other fluxes but lots of people use beeswax. A flux can cause a smoke or steam that can ignite. Also be very careful putting stuff into the molten metal. When a bullet or a sinker does not turn out well either lay it aside or be very careful to return it very slowly. The tendancy is to just get a little careless and just toss it back into the pot and that is when they get burned from splash.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Paul, as far as putting a sinker back in the pot, I think I'll just put it in my dipper and ease it back down in there..... probably the best way to do it.... As far as the flux, since I'm new at this, don't you just coat the mold and the pot with it? or do you actually mix it into the lead itself?
Semper Fi

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

The way we always did it was to heat the lead in the pot till it was melted. We then skimmed off the dull stuff that came to the top called dross. Once we got as much off as we could we then fluxed the molten lead and repeated the dross removal. The best lead has a shiny mirror like look to the surface. Getting the lead clean of impurities makes the best sinkers and bullets and the least amount of problems.

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Cool.... that's some great information to have.
Semper Fi

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Have fun Terry but be careful. It's great you have guys like Paul and Leo to give you advice.

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 July 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

Norm, don't I know it.... Just can't wait to get started.... haven't got the lead to do it yet... Dad is supposed to be talking to the guy at the tire shop he knows soon so he can get it.
Semper Fi

#15 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Well all I broke down and went to a scrap yard and bought 10lbs of scrap lead.... Not sure what it actually was originaly supposed to be for, but it looked like ducting.... $7.50 later and I have enough bank sinkers to carry me through the season and a psychedelic trotline weight.. LOL The trotline weight was just the leftovers from the sinkers I made, and I wanted to clean the pot out after I got done..... gotta take a wire brush and prolly some WD-40 to it after it's had plenty of time to cool.........
Posted Image

Posted Image
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users