2 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

I havn't been on this forum in a while...Hi all! I'm still knocking the snot out of things with this T/C encore 50 cal-can't imagine life w/o it! I've done a ton of custom stuff to it and is a lethal pce to shoot with.
Anyway-I picked up a knight disc in 45 cal. off a college kid who had acquired it a few years back, shot it 7 times, cleaned it and put it in his closet never to shoot it again. At a steal of a price :shifty: !! It came with a full can of pyro, bullets, 209s, arsenal of cleaning cosmetics yada, yada. I don't know a darn thing about what these guns or this caliber's likes or dislikes. I've always enjoyed chiming into this site for muzzleloader info...anyone have any suggestions on what I should consider starting out with as far as loads/weights etc are concerned?
Cayugad-I read on previous thread of yours about a Lehigh bolt conversion??? What is it? Something you would recommend for this gun?

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sicknstring, Cayugad would be the go to guy. I'm sure his advice will trump mine, but the best thing I've done is just try different powder loads...... 50gr should be a good starting point though.
Semper Fi

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

The Knight .45 caliber Disc is a great rifle.

The Lehigh bolt conversion is now sold through Knight Rifles. It is a different breech plug and then there is an adapter which holds a bare 209 primer. This means not only do you not need the primer jackets. These primer jackets might be orange or red depending on the age of the rifle. With the Lehigh adapter you place the 209 primer into a pocket and then close the bolt. This not only provides a very good ignition system, but also stops the blow back through the breech plug.

Posted Image

Notice the long nose of the breech plug. That is where the adapter fits over that stem.

Posted Image

You can see the adapter there. And also note the lack of blow back. So the advantage... no primer jackets. And reduction of blow back. This adapter also allows the rifle to use BlackHorn 209 powder with perfect ignition. A lot of the Disc and Extreme shoots are going to these Lehigh plugs because they can shoot the clean and powerful BlackHorn 209 powder.

Now reference some loads... In my .45 caliber I like to shoot 110 grains of Goex 2f powder and a light blue MMP sabot in .400 diameter. I load a Hornady 200 grain 10mm hollow point. This bullet is a deer taker. Another bullet I shoot is 180 grain Speer Deep Curl .40 cal which is a 10mm bullet in that sabot. Accuracy is great and the down range performance is outstanding.

Other disc shooter using BlackHorn 209 are shooing 110 grains of BlackHorn 209 and some of the Lehigh brass bullets in .40 caliber and they are shooting 200 yards with some outstanding groups.

Since you have Pyrodex RS. Get some tan or blue sabots and some 10mm 200 grain Hornady XTPs. Load 100 grains of powder and start there. Be sure to swab between shots. I think you will be very pleased with that rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users