• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have many, Firearms, reloading, Air Rifles, striving for accuracy too, Scopes, target & tactical shooting, being a Dedicated Marksman. Archery [a long time ago], Dry Fly fishing, backpacking and wilderness camping [a while in the past, went through Boy Scouts. Very Patriotic and Conservative, no military service due to a very bad auto accident in 1965, more than willing to take up Arms in defense of this Great Nation if the need arises]! Photography, sports cars, leaning toward a truck or suv for the comfort. And last but not least is the shared experiences on the forum!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

As mentioned to Leo when I first joined I'm awaiting the delivery of these Leapers scopes that should arrive on Tues July 5 so I can test one of them out and do a review on it.

*> I should mention that even though I am set-up with Leapers to offer/handle their product line, this is a totally independent evaluation by myself to ensure this scope will indeed be able to handle the double shock of my Benjamin NP .177 Air Rifle as they claim their True Strength Platform will do and hold Zero as corrections are made. They have tested out their 3-9 x40 with IR and it passed very good? These scopes are supposed to be manufactured in the U.S.A. too from what they say.

This is from their somewhat new line of AccuShot Scopes, it's a full size 3-12 x44 EZ Tap Red & Green IR with 6* Mil-Dots & a 30mm tube for better light transmission, plus 36 additional shades to choose from to contrast against the background for ease of viewing and a memory feature so you go back to the prior setting when turned on again. It also has their SWAT [Side Wheel Adjustable Turret -side focusing] feature. The W/E turrets also have a positive locking feature to them so once set zero is set it can't be knocked out of position yet it can be changed relatively easily too or dialed back in if changed to make a shot if I understood their info correctly?
* 6 Mil-Dots on each side or up and down from the center of the reticle for considerable hold over and windage hold off correction.

I also bought an 80 mm Big Wheel to go on the side turret knob as it seemed very advantageous especially when hunting to be able to easily focus while supporting the rifle while free standing. I'm also using their High quick release scope rings too with 6 screws on the top caps to ensure a very secure hold. The rings come with a special tape that aids in holding the scope securely too without marking the tube I would think?

So this is what's comming up.

Edited by FtHillSnipe, 29 June 2011 - 06:02 PM.

I'm a very firm believer in Gun Control!!
You and you alone are the only one that should be in control of your Guns!!

#2 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have many, Firearms, reloading, Air Rifles, striving for accuracy too, Scopes, target & tactical shooting, being a Dedicated Marksman. Archery [a long time ago], Dry Fly fishing, backpacking and wilderness camping [a while in the past, went through Boy Scouts. Very Patriotic and Conservative, no military service due to a very bad auto accident in 1965, more than willing to take up Arms in defense of this Great Nation if the need arises]! Photography, sports cars, leaning toward a truck or suv for the comfort. And last but not least is the shared experiences on the forum!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

The Accushot 3-12 x44mm EZ Tap's illuminated 6* Mil-Dot Reticle with SWAT [Side Wheel Adjustable Turret] feature and available Big Wheel in both 80mm & 100mm for ease of focusing.
*6 Mil-Dots from the Center both vertical and horizontal with 7 brightness settings plus 36 additional hues to choose from too contrast against whatever background your dealing with for ease of acquiring your target !

The Accushot line of scopes are built on the True-Strength platform to withstand considerable shock.

This scope is also available to two sizes, compact and full size and in both cases the scope rings are included ! Quick detach rings are also available for a reasonable price.

Double click on my picture to open my gallery and see the other shots of this scope

Posted Image

Edited by FtHillSnipe, 01 July 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#3 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:22 AM

Today, Wed. I took delivery of the 3-12 x44 scopes and high 30mm Quick Detach rings and the metal Big Wheels for finer focusing and do they ever work slick. All adjustments worked nicely and fairly easy to turn.

One of the first things I noticed when looking through the scope was that the reticle indeed had [9] Mil-Dots each way from the center and the reticle has fairly fine lines and Mil-Dot markings. The turret adjustments worked nicely too. The optics are clear and sharp and very nicely coated.

When doing some evening shooting, using the scope, I also had a chance to make use of the 36 additional colors as I was shooting at a black silhoutte target with shoot and see orange 3" targets stuck on it. I found that a light Lilac color stood out very well and made sighting very easy.

It took me four shots to get the scope sighted in fairly close to the center as a pellet hit in the next ring from the center and another shot also hit the other side of the center. So this is a very welcome change from what I was getting with the other scope.

More testing today.

Time to get some sleep.

Edited by FtHillSnipe, 07 July 2011 - 01:52 AM.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

I realize that optically the glass in a Leapers Scope isn't going to be on par with the higher dollar scopes. Producing super clear quality lenses is expensive and labor intense. No way around that. But for short range full daylight plinking on air powered or rimfire rifles the optical quality doesn't need to be top notch.

Quality sturdy and repeatable predictable adjustments is another matter. You should be able to walk a grid with target turret adjustments. And the scope should take a "thump" with the heel of the hand without losing zero.

My hope is you concentrate on proving the mechanics of the turret adjustments.
Posted Image

#5 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

I realize that optically the glass in a Leapers Scope isn't going to be on par with the higher dollar scopes. Producing super clear quality lenses is expensive and labor intense. No way around that. But for short range full daylight plinking on air powered or rimfire rifles the optical quality doesn't need to be top notch.

Quality sturdy and repeatable predictable adjustments is another matter. You should be able to walk a grid with target turret adjustments. And the scope should take a "thump" with the heel of the hand without losing zero.

My hope is you concentrate on proving the mechanics of the turret adjustments.

* Hi Leo,
> David;

*Your first statement: I realize that optically the glass in a Leapers Scope isn't going to be on par with the higher dollar scopes. Producing super clear quality lenses is expensive and labor intense. No way around that. But for short range full daylight plinking on air powered or rimfire rifles the optical quality doesn't need to be top notch.*

> I worked in the optical field many years ago and lenses are ground from, blanks - disks of different optical configurations, and also from having operated my own photographic business for a number of years I seen the quality of lenses change drastically and rifle scope lenses are no different as their quality has also improved along with the photographic lenses. While there may be some difference in quality from one manufacturer to another most all lenses are of much higher quality than needed and Leapers glass is most definitely extremely sharp and clear. The main thing is to have the occular eye piece adjusted properly as well as a way to focus precisely like a Big Wheel does on the side focus turret and things come in nice and sharp. Also a persons eyes have a considerable bearing on the subject too as well as the size of the front objective to pull in the reflected light that allows us to see all images without their own light source. To be very precise about it we don't really see the object but rather the light being reflected from it and hence the need for the various coatings to allow a sharp precise image.

I had the Leapers set on 10 power and could clearly see the grass and the tree bark of a Bull Pine 200 yards away as was focused in using the Big Wheel on the Leapers scope. So I'd have to say it also very well suited for even center fire rifles too.

The Big Wheel really makes focusing so much more precise and easier. it quite amasing. Again I'm using a 80mm wheel on my scope. So I can say with certainty that even the 3-12 x44 give me more than enough clarity even on just 10 power for use on a center fire rifle.<

* Quality sturdy and repeatable predictable adjustments is another matter. You should be able to walk a grid with target turret adjustments. And the scope should take a "thump" with the heel of the hand without losing zero.*

> The Leapers Accushot scope does seem to be a sturdy scope with it one piece tube design and so far the adjustments haven proven to be reliable and repeatable but I want to do more testing to know for sure. Of course thrown into this equation is that possibly the Crosman Hunter Pellets are not the most precise either but they do seem to b a lot better than the Gamo Magnum I shot a few of they were really all over the place. So choice of pellets also has a big bearing of accuracy just like different bullets shoot better out of one manufacturers barrel than another. So from that standpoint I'm also checking to determine just where I get the best accuracy.

* You should be able to walk a grid with target turret adjustments.

> The statement is valid if your going to be making corrections, dial in a shot, rather than leaving your cross hairs where you zeroed them at and using the Mil-Dots to get the coordinates for placement of the shot which to me would seem to be more logical and so much quicker.

Now walking a grid or doing a box test is valid to show your adjustments return to zero but again unless your dialing in your shot all the time it isn't really necessary, at least form my standpoint. Indeed that the beauty of having the 9 Mil-Dots each way from center to work with so you don't have to make any actual turret adjustments. But we all do things in various ways.<

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

I agree using Mil Dots as aimpoints is faster than turret adjustment. Keep in mind when not using the center of the crosshairs as the aimpoint the parallax effect is more pronounced the further you get from center. On some scopes the parallax is worse than others. It's up to the end user to determine which is better and accurate enough for their situation.
Posted Image

#7 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

Hi Leo,
Yes that's very true, each user need to decide for themselves what's best for their on tastes and cost.

#8 bdv2642

bdv2642

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

hey guys I have recently purchased this scope on-line but have yet to receive it. I purchased it...only to realize after the fact that it is meant for air rifles. So my question is this... is it strong enough to put on my smith and wesson m&p 15 (.223)? I also have a .22...so i will more than likely keep it to put it on that, but i would like to put in on my .223 to go pig hunting. is this a bad idea? thanks for any input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users