S&w 629 Classic W Bushnell Red Dot Scope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

A while back I picked up a S&W 629 classic 44 mag. its a fun toy to take to the range and let off some kabooms. recently I've been playing around with the idea of doing some hunting with it. I had a bushnell red dot scope setting in the gun safe, I just ordered a weaver style rail mount for the 629.
thinking maybe a hog hunt is in the future...I also drew for mule deer this year...so that is a possiblity.
those who hunt with hand guns...do you have any suggestions on ammo and such.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
Bruce
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,083 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

I don't have a .44... only a .357. So, this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. But, with that said, I stick with FMJ (Federal CastCore seems popular in my area) for handgun hunting. Generally, 158 grain for whitetail and 180 grain for pigs or small black bear. If I did have a .44, the same principle would still apply for me. (FMJ with heavy being the name of the game for pigs and larger game.)

By the way, nice piece! Which length barrel did you go with? I've found the longer the better. Regardless, I've found non-magnifying red-dot scopes to be ideal for hunting wheel guns.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Most of the people i know will only hunt with the 240 or heavier bullet. My sierra loading manual says the 240 gr offering can be made to go about 1400 fps with close to 1044 ft lbs of energy. the heavier 250 or 300 gr offerings are less fps and less ft lbs of energy. I dont own a 44 but do have a 41 mag and shoot the 170 gr for fun and the 210 gr for hunting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

Jer it has the 6 inch barrel. sweet shooting gun. I'm not sure what range I can shoot with it yet....will see once the rail mount gets here and I put the red dot on it. I can feel it in my bones, gonna be a good year hunting this season :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

I use 180 or 240 gr semi jacketed soft point for everything in my two 44 magnums. I use 180 in a Sauer Western Marshal single action and 240s in my Super Blackhawk. You can get either cheap at WM. 240s better for hunting IMHO. Good luck with your 44 Bruce, I love mine and will buy more (in stainless) if I ever get another job.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

one of the guys I hunt with, called the other day, his best friend from college hunts with his 44 mag and he is going to hand load me 40 rounds 240 gr. ...I don't recall the entire build up...but it is what he swears by.....I can't wait to get them and see how different the gun is shooting those.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

Posted Image
There she is waiting to be taken out :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

did some shooting at the range with her this weekend, getting a feel for the scope. at 30 yards was tapping the bullseye pretty well. considering, it was standing. no support...not bad....look out mr black bear :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 killthemquick89

killthemquick89

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

That scope is nice but be careful o have the same one on my 357 and the dial to adjust what retical you want broke so all I have is the small red dot witch is okay because that's the one I use lol just a heads up nice gun by the way

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have the Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum. It is a sweet shooter. Years ago, my hunting partner had a stroke and could no longer deer hunt because he is paralyzed on one side of his body. So I mounted a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on it. I sighted it in for 25 yards and then he could deer hunt. I personally would recommend a handgun scope. The Red Dot is nice, but limited. I am thinking of mounting a 1x32mm scope on it instead of the Red Dot. While the eye relief might be a little off, I could sight it in for 25 yards and make it work great.

I have owned this Redhawk for around 30 years. Back when I shot a lot.(I was a police officer at the time and shot a lot). when I first purchased it... I took it to a range and shot at a small dessert paper plate at 100 yards. I think they are six inches. With open sights too. Now granted this was a bench rest shoot. But I was shocked when I actually hit that plate five out of six shots. I shoot a 240 grain Winchester lead point. And that thing will drop a deer fast. The first deer I ever shot was at 12 yards. It was looking at me, and I put one between the eyes. The next one was at 40 yards, and I took a broadside shot. It ran about 40 yards and then dropped. But that bullet really tore apart a coyote one winter. Hit it dead on in the front shoulder. Ruined the hide.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users