4 replies to this topic

#1 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

We have caught 5 hogs. We keep moving the trap (not an easy task) but I think they have become trap wise. They walk right beside it but not in it. We have also put up a corral & they won't go in it either. Doors have been open for over a week and we just moved them again this weekend. Hogs are all around just not in the trap. Mostly using corn for bait. Any suggestions? We have them on camera but I think they are becoming trap wise.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

Well there are other baits you could try.....Around here you can buy a product called "pig likker" it's a gel attractant that I've heard good things about. Pigs will eat anything so you just have to find what they can't resist and I'd probably make a trail in the doorway with the pig likker....
Semper Fi

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

The PIG LIKKER really helps. A friend of mine that catches a lot of pigs does it this way.

• He uses really big traps. Ones that will easily hold several pigs. Ideally the whole herd.
  • In the trap, he digs a hole and puts a lot of the corn in it (about half a five gallon bucket). Make the hole near the back of the trap. Make it wider than deep so several pigs can root at it at once. He pours a half bottle of PIG LIKKER on the corn an covers it under a couple inches of dirt. Sprinkle the top of the "honey hole" with some loose corn and PIG LIKKER.
  • Sprinkle some corn outside the trap leading into it.
  • Spread a small amount of bait on top of the dirt.
  • Here's the important step!!! Make sure the trigger is buried and hidden as far away from the gate as possible! Take care that the trigger cord can not be accidently activated by a pigs back brushing it. Tie an ear of corn to the end of the trigger cord. Don't use the Pig Likker on it before you bury it. You want the pigs to find this bait last!

This is the way the set up is intended to work. The pigs end up going in and out of the trap several times before it gets sprung. This is a good thing! After a few young stupid pigs risk it without getting caught more and more of the herd enters the trap. Eventually the herd gets very comfortable and relaxed rooting at the "Honey Hole". As they get to the end of that treat, one of the pigs will find the trigger and spring the trap on the whole group.

One cautionary note. The digging power of several trapped pigs is formidable!. You will need to make sure you take steps to keep them from digging out. Even then you need to check the trap daily!

On particularly trap wise hogs. He sets up the trap so it cannot be sprung and gets them feeding out of it for a week or so before actually setting it.

Hope that helps.
Posted Image

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Leo, most of the guys around here use the one way doors on their traps. I've seen over 20 pigs in one trap before....... Ofcourse I left pretty quick when the guy said he wasn't shooting them he was taking them out live...... I said good day and got out of there. No way on God's good green Earth am I putting hands on a live feral hog.... Not this Arkansas Redneck... LOL
Semper Fi

#5 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

Thanks guys - we have several different traps & are using different baits - no traps are set right now so we can find what they like. I know they are visiting the peanut fields surrounding us but they are still going through our area. We had put a corral around a feeder but didn't set the trap - had pigs in & out on camera the first night but none since so we took it down. We set up another one in the woods and a smaller trap about 100 yards from there. With a shovel, we took some mud from a wallow site & put it on the trap........you never know!!!! Lots of pig sign so we will see.... Thanks for the advise - this is something new for us so we are still learning what works. I think the best that I have figured out is that you best change your tactics each week to keep up........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users