Treestand Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

As archery season approaches, I've been looking over my equipment. I see that most, if not all, of the nuts and bolts on my cheaper stand and sticks are well rusted. I figure it's time to replace them while I can still (hopefully) break them free without too much hassle. Naturally, as these were "generic" stands, I'm not going to bother contacting the companies as they will likely only send the same inferior steel hardware, if they are even willing to supply any (even at a price). The question is... "Should I use stainless or zinc coated replacement hardware?"

My thought is that if I'm careful to not scratch them up in installation that the coated parts will be fine since they aren't really high usage. But, then again, since they will be out in the elements for several months it might be best to just spend the extra pennies and go stainless. (The real issue is simply finding stainless at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot in my area. They seem rare... especially in metric which this stand uses. Of course, I might end up converting to the nearest standard hardware sizes.)

Anyway... Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they'd like to share? Any thoughts on strength? (A2 vs. A4 steel???)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Jere being that it's out in the weather I would probably go with the stainless, I worked in a metal fab plant for a while and the zinc coated stuff we used oxidized anyway scratched or not.
Semper Fi

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Terry is correct. The zinc coated will rust quickly scratched or not.

All the zinc coating is, is a thin sacrificial anode coating. It does not "seal" the bolt against corrosion. It simply rusts away before the bolt starts to corrode.

The zinc coating makes the bolts last a little longer but not much.

Full fledged galvanized bolts will last quite a bit longer than zinc coated in most applications.

Most times Stainless is the better choice for outdoor applications.

Don't mix the two in applications. Don't put stainless hardware or a galvanized boat trailer. Or don't put a galvanized nut on a stainless bolt.

Caution: Most hardware grade hex head bolts are grade 2 or grade 3. You should use grade 5 or grade 6 fasteners on a stand. These higher grade fasteners are significantly stronger. It used to be that all allen head socket cap screws were a minimum of grade 5. It should say the grade on the bolt head.
Posted Image

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Jere, I didn't have time to fully answer earlier but Leo did a very good job of finishing up for me. One caution I would give to anyone is don't weld galvinized or zinc coated unless you have gail force winds from a fan. Both can release toxic fumes if welded. The reason to never mix stainless and galvinized is a reaction from unlike metals. It can actually cause a different kind of oxidation than regular rust. (think white powder) not to mention the differences in strength as well.
Semper Fi

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Stainless.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, fellas. I'm likely gonna convert to standard just for being able to find the stuff easier than metric and go stainless. We all know that'll spot-rust on the surface with time as well, but it will certainly last longest. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get quality stuff? It seems ridiculous that I might have to order online, but there just aren't "mom & pop" hardware stores around anymore and places like Lowe's, for all the hardware they do have, seem to carry about 90% either coated or galvanized. :(

sig_admin.png

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:30 AM

Jere did a search for you and this is a little of what I found..

Threaded Screw Products Co., Inc. - Thorndale, PA
Distributor, Custom Manufacturer
ISO 9002 certified distributor of bolts materials including alloy, aluminum, brass, bronze, carbon & stainless steel. Order to customer specifications, from bulk kegs to custom bagged, individual sets. 60,000 kegs of inventory available. Overnight emergency service also available. Polybagging services, ... contract kit packaging of fasteners.www.threadedscrewproducts.com/prod.html

Tristate Machining - Yardley, PA
Custom Manufacturer
Custom manufacturer of fasteners including special fasteners made from stainless steel. Capabilities include screw machining, milling, turning, threading, cross drilling, knurling, broaching, sawing, slotting, countersink internal/external threading (ID/OD), roll threading & straddle milling. ISO 9001 ... & RoHS compliant. On-time delivery.www.tristate-machining.com/parts-produced.p...Posted Image

Elge Precision Machining, Inc. - Reading, PA
Manufacturer, Custom Manufacturer, Service Company
Custom manufacturer of precision screw machined products including aluminum, brass, bronze, steel & stainless steel fasteners. Materials also include copper, special alloys, plastics, acetyl, nylon, PVC, ABS & UHMW. Products include rivets, gaskets, connectors, closures, washers, lighting components, ... hardware, door parts, knurled pins, screws, jam nuts, fittings, collars, hex nuts, bushings & knob screws. Capabilities include forming, slotting, precision CNC turning, deburring, drilling, threading, tapping, thread rolling, knurling, broaching, cross tapping, single point threading, C-axis work, opposing spindle work & cross drilling with tolerances up to 0.0005 for max dia. of 2 in. (round) & 1-5/8 in. for hex shapes. Industries served include automotive aftermarket, electronics, hardware & door, lighting & telecommunications.www.elgeprecision.com/index.htmlPosted Image

Fastenal Co. - Canonsburg, PA
Distributor, Custom Manufacturer, Service Company
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete

Fastenal Co. - Monroeville, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - Loyalhanna, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - Somerset, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - Farrell, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - East Butler, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete Fastenal Co. - Erie, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - Uniontown, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - New Kensington, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process. Fastenal Co. - Monaca, PA
Complete line distributor of fasteners. Specializing in threaded fasteners & accessories for use in both industrial & commercial applications. Fastening systems including nuts, bolts, screws, socket products, washers, concrete anchoring systems, construction adhesives, fire stop, struts & pipe. Complete ... selection of Vendor-Managed Inventory programs. Serving MRO, OEM & construction markets. Products are completely traceable & purchased to ANSI, ASTM, DIN, ISO & other standards. Trained customer service personnel. Technical customer assistance including fastener standards data to aid in product selection process.

Semper Fi

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

I'd probably go with one of the Fastenal's if there's one close to you in that list......
Semper Fi

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Ace Hardware is worth a try if one is near by.

Besides that I've found it is good to think "marine" in the pursuit of stainless hardware.

West Marine and Boatersworld carry a variety of stainless fasteners. Also any boat dealer that has a service dept should have quite a few to choose from.
Posted Image

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Fastenal is actually where I was looking online. Funny how I didn't know there were 2 of them within 15 minutes of me. :doh2:

Thanks again, guys. :)

sig_admin.png

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

Jer, besides what type of bolts you use you need to check them regularly that they remain tight. The wind moving the tree will sure work them loose. Also keep an eye on your straps that you torque it to the tree with. Out in the sun and weather they can dry rot pretty quick at times. You've got a good head, just common sense maintenance will keep you safe Bro.

#12 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

Jer, any TruValue hardware should be able to fix you up.
My company has three retail stores that are TruValue hardwares and we have a great selection in the sizes you will need.
One other thing you can do if the stand has just been out for a year or two or if you are just placing it out for the first time.
Rustoleum Rusty Primer works great. It penetrates to the steel and seals it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users