• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

On the way back from scouting this weeknd we went by Homestake Creek and NoName Road and our Elkatraz campsite and Pando Yard and Camp Hale. It's ALL clearcut around our Elkatraz camp, I mean you can see from highway right thru our campsite to the bottom of the mtn. When we camped there it was semi surrounded by trees which somewhat blocked the hwy noise. Musta been beetle kill.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Wow.... shows you just how much can change in such a short time, Hopefully they have a plan for replanting......
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I just thought about that last week and wondered if it still was the same. Now I know. It isn't.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

I wasnt in a hurry goin home, I should have taken one min and took a pic or two. But l'll be going by there again in a few weeks so then I will. If I get that Climax job (praying) I'll be up there all the time.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Went by the place again end of October on way home from elk hunting. It's all clearcut from road back past where we all camped. Im sure in a few yrs it'll grow up thick and the cars wont be able to see in to Camp Elkatraz. Maybe by then I'll be ready to go bowhuntign again. I like that place.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Charlie thanks for the update, sad as it is. I recall seeing some tree damage when we were there but not right there at camp on no name road. With practically a monoculture of pines and the beetle problem as bad as it is it is a wonder Colorado has any trees left. Here in PA we have the gypsy moth that eats oaks first and then any other diciduous tree leaves With literally millions of caterpillars they make a whole mountainside look like it is winter in May and June.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

Planning on a hunt this fall with Will and wondered what changed from the last time. Elkatraz will always be tops in the memory as I got to meet so many Ruffians for the first time and had a couple missed oppurtunities at elk with the bow.
Posted Image

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Good luck hunting with Will, he's a great guy. Are you hunting her in COlo or...???
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Good luck hunting with Will, he's a great guy. Are you hunting her in COlo or...???

Yepper Charlie !Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users