7 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Which one ? Im leaning toward the new Rage but its on back order at Cabelas. So what do you all use & at what grain?

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Went to hamburg to my local cabelas yesterday. They had the rage xbow heads in stock so I got them along with everything I needed to get up & running. Took two shots to get zero'd in for 20 yrds in my back yard. It was zero'd at 12 yrds when they set it up for me at cabelas' when I bought it. I'm getting really excited for the early doe season here in wmu 5c. Opens on Sept. 10th.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

I took a doe with standard Rage 125s last fall and was very pleased with the performance.

I am currently shooting the "new" Rage Crossbow 125s and other than having a smaller cutting diameter and an orange ferrule, there is absolutely no difference in design. The Rage web site doesn't outline any changes in blade retention and "insider info" has told me that the only difference (again, other than the smaller cutting diameter and color) is the word "Crossbow" on the pack. (Apparently, folks won't buy broadheads for shooting out of a crossbow if they don't say they are for a crossbow. Even though the original Rage was tested to 400 f.p.s. and out of crossbows without failure according to the FAQ on the Rage website. :doh2: )

Anyway, as long as you always check to ensure that the blades are closed (captured by the o-ring - the same as with ANY mechanical broadhead that uses such a retaining system) after seating your bolt into the rail you'll likely never have a problem with them.

This past spring I missed a couple turkey with my crossbow and was wanting to blame the heads for premature blade deployment causing planing. But, I did some extensive testing with an actual Rage (instead of the practice heads they supply that have non-functioning blades) this summer and they were dead on out to 50 yards, which is as far as the scope on my Excalibur goes.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

BTW,

Other favorites are Slick Trick Xbow Tricks and Excalibur Bolt Cutters.
Both are fixed blade. Excaliburs are 150 grain and the Xbow Tricks are 175 grain. :)
The extra weight helps stabilization. I generally never go below 125 grn. regardless.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Scott I bought 100 grain muzzy lookalikes at Cabelas. These are fixed blade and shoot well for me out to 35 yds. I have yet to arrow a deer but just received my two doe tags and plan on trying them out in a few weeks.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

Scott I bought 100 grain muzzy lookalikes at Cabelas. These are fixed blade and shoot well for me out to 35 yds. I have yet to arrow a deer but just received my two doe tags and plan on trying them out in a few weeks.

If your in the area early oct. when the saw tooth oaks are dropping, grab a 5c doe tag & I'll put your on some for an evening hunt.

I also pulled my game cam out today I had set up along a ridge trail that drops down into my bucks bedding area about a 1/4 mile away. Cant wait to get the film back. Yes..I said film. I have two, wife wont let me go digital since I have two "working" cameras already. lol is it hunting season yet?

Edited by Whitetiger, 27 August 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:07 AM

Scott hmmm sounds like atleast one cam might need to have Android accident. Lol..... I love my digital just swap the card bring it home and bring it home. You might also mention how much you can save o film Android photo development....
Semper Fi

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

Lol I hate this tablet you type An or and then you end up with Android. ...

Edited by TerryfromAR, 30 August 2011 - 06:10 AM.

Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users