6 replies to this topic

#1 killthemquick89

killthemquick89

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

Okay so I shoot the rage three blades right now and was debating on switching to the two blade iv had good luck with the three blade but the hole is bigger with the two blades any imput guys.

O and has anyone used the rage to blade ke 40 my girlfriend needs a good broadhead and I seen the rage kinetic energy 40 and was wondering about them.

Thanks guys

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

The two blade cuts a bigger diameter hole but the three blade cuts more area.

You won't really gain anything going to the two blade.

A friend of mines sister uses Wasp SST's to successfully take Elk with her low poundage bow.

Personally I get outstanding performance from Slicktrick Standard 125s out of a 67 1/2lb bow. I got a pass through on an Eland last year with that setup. Eland are about the same size as moose.
Posted Image

#3 killthemquick89

killthemquick89

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

See that was my delima three blades cut more area but two blades are bigger holes

And I'm not a fan of front deploying broad heads I had a bad experience with them and will never shoot them agin lol I love the rage they perform very well and have no issue blowing threw bone I shot a doe last year with a three blade and I under shot her but she ducked and the arrow blew straight threw her shoulder and threw the heart and out the other side at 42 yards

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

I've always been partial to the 125 grain thunderheads. They always worked great for me. Easy to tune and good blood trail. 40 years ago, I used a standard broadhead, and they worked fine too. Left a few of them stuck in a tree a time or two.:blush:

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

http://forums.huntin...age-broadheads/ I'm thinking hole size shouldn't be an issue for you, as long as you are shooting them where you say you are. I wouldn't switch, as long as you are shooting them well and having success. There are not varying degrees of dead, dead is dead.

#6 killthemquick89

killthemquick89

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

Yea I think I'm just going to stick with the rage three blade I did some tuning and my bobbed no broad head tuning my broad heads and field points are all grouping the same

#7 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

There always has been, and likely always will be, debates on what is the best broadhead. Most bowhuntres will have the best (in their opinion) of what is bar none, the absolute geatest blades on the end of their arrows...well at least until another super-dee-duperty head comes on the market with the most wonderful marketing scheme since Carter sold Little Liver pills!

Bottom line is:

1. Blades MUST be sharp! No matter what brand or configuration.
2. MUST be capable of hitting the target where the bowhunter intended it.
3. Should not be impeded by design with regards to penetration.

There are some basic concepts to look for in a good head that are pretty much accepted:

1. The 3-bladed head is the most aerodymanic with regards to blade configuration for non-expandable heads.
2. Vented blades provide compensation for wind resistance and reduce planing.
3. Stainless steel blades are stronger than some of the old carbon blades (if you still have any).
4. Blades of thicker dimensions (greater than .025") are less apt to break inside the target and pose safety issues while skinning or butchering.
5. Expandable heads are considered to be more accurate and consistant than non-expandables, but the general consensus is that expandables are not as efficient with regards to penetration abilitiies (In that regards, shooting a bow of increased weight can compensate for penetration misgivings while using such blades, but the increased poundage will generally translate into less accuracy and possibly strained muscles...well at least for us...seasoned bowhunters shall we say!)

I have personally found that changing broadhead types and brands on a regular basis can become very expensive. If you're merely trying to chase the recent trends as advertised on the hunting shows or endorsed by the current hunting celebs, then you're likely to be laying out hard earned cash with little to no gained advantages over your tried and true broadheads you already own. I have found it's easier on the wallet to merely keep topping up my new blade inventory on ferrils I already own, and can use the old dull blades for practicing. If one or two ferrils become damaged or lost, I only have to replace the few required to top up my broadhead kit bag, not the 1 or 2 dozen needed to retool the whole shootin' match just to say I've got the latest on the market!

I personally shoot a 125 grain broadhead as I shoot a 60 to 70 lb compound and hunt big game all the way up to moose. I prefer the 3-bladed non-expandable head with stainless steel vented blades of .027" thickness. The head design allows me to align the 3 blades with the vane configuration on the shaft without having to reheat and move the inserts. I have shot these heads for 20 years or so I guess, and they're still being marketed today. Until a manufacturer can prove to me that a newer design will blow these heads out of the water so to speak, I'll just stick with them.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users