• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ki4nwxtony

ki4nwxtony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hello to all, I have a few questions reguarding a 50cal Hawken Tompson Center muzzleloader. I am currently using 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with a 385 grain buffalo bullet. I would like to change to a 295gr powerbelt. I have heard that Tompson Center muzzle loaders have a life time warrenty but only if you use solid lead ammo not copper jacked. Will using the powerbelts or sabbots void my warrenty. Next, what is the max load recommended for this rifle. I have never used more than 90gr.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

I've owned two T/C Hawkens, and if I remember right, 120 gr of black powder is the max load. Where the warrenty is concerned, were I you, I'd simply give Thompson Center a call and ask. You could double check the max load while you have them on the phone plus ask any other questions you might have.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

50 caliber the recommended max load is 110 grains of 2f powder. In the 54 caliber I believe it is 120 grains of 2f powder.

I see no reason why shooting powerbelts would void the warranty. When you shoot them don't put a lot of powder under them. 70-80 grains of powder should be good. If you really want to shoot a conical bullet have you considered the T/C maxiball? They normally shoot well. Also REAL conicals will shoot good also.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

50 caliber the recommended max load is 110 grains of 2f powder. In the 54 caliber I believe it is 120 grains of 2f powder.

I see no reason why shooting powerbelts would void the warranty. When you shoot them don't put a lot of powder under them. 70-80 grains of powder should be good. If you really want to shoot a conical bullet have you considered the T/C maxiball? They normally shoot well. Also REAL conicals will shoot good also.

Yep, you're right. I was overlooking it being a .50. Mine both were a .54 Slipping in my old age. lol

#5 ki4nwxtony

ki4nwxtony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I will check out the T/C ammo as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users