• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Buckhorn3

Buckhorn3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

I have a Buckhorn Magnum 50 cal. Has anyone tried shooting 1" long wooden dowels out of it ... and if so, are they accurate?
Is it even safe to think about?
I love to shoot, but the cost of powerbelts or even making my own lead balls is putting a damper on my black powder experience.
That is the cheapest ammo I can shoot that is relatively accurate?

I am wanting to shoot ground hogs at 80 yards... I don't want the projectile to travel much past 160 yards... I am aiming down at a
negative 25-30 degree angle.

About 380 yards away is the railroad tracks which I want to stay away from... but I am aiming down into gravel...
Should I use 50 gr. of powder and a spitball? :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

You would run the risk of bulging your barrel shooting non standard projectiles, as well as voiding any warranty. If you want to shoot cheap things.. cast some .490 roundball. Load 30 grains and a patched ball and have at it with them ground squirrels. Actually the cheapest way to shoot is purchase in bulk some Hornady XTP's in 250 grain and sabots. That is the cheapest way to shoot without casting your own.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

Wooden bullets in my mind are very suspect. In order to get good accuracy the bullet either must fit the bore or expand to fit the bore upon firing. If wood were a good bullet it would be on the market today. In order to get wood to equal the weight of a lead bullet it would have to be very long in relation to diameter. It would have to conform to the bore on loading and a projectile that long would require a hammer to load. If the wood does not form a tight fit to the bore gasses would escape along the bullet and possibly ruin the barrel because that gas would act like a cutting torch. Best follow Cayugads advice.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users