• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Yesterday (the 15th) was opening day of PA's early muzzleloader doe season. Eric and I headed out early for a spot on top of the mountain across the valley. When I finally got to the top I was kinda beat. Since I had a colonoscopy last wed I expected not to be in top shape and was not disapointed in that. We did not see any deer or even very much deer sign up that high but I did have a turkey gobble about a dozen times for me. The wind was blowing near gale force and the top of the mountain played havoc with backflow and eddys. We called it quits at about 9:30 and came home to many chores. We decided to hunt last evening down low at the fields. I did not see any deer but tons of squirrels in the oak and hickorys nearby. Near dark I heard the distinctive boom of Erics rifle and a minute later my cell phone rang and he had one down. It is a large doe but fortunately the drag was pretty much level and only about 200 yds till we could get to it with the truck. That deer is another testament to our beloved load of 80 grains of real 2f bp pushing a 300 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot. The deer never moved off the spot. I sure wish I had a little more stamina though as I was worn out when all the work was done. Guess that day and a half of fasting took its toll.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

Tell Eric congrats. You don't push yourself too hard, I'd enjoy seeing you come Spring. I wish our muzzy season was as early as your's. Our's isn't untill late December.

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Good shooting & good luck. I had to work. I'll be out wednesday & friday. I took Cassie thru the one public park I hunt. Saw a 6 pointer & 4 doe at 5pm. & my wife who was going out west on 78 saw a big 10 pointer stained on the highway. She was suprised no one made off with the rack when she saw it. (that would be illegal if they were).

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

80 grains of BP and a large Hornady is a real stopper for you two. Congratulations to Eric on the doe. A nice doe is always welcome at the table. And you need to take it easy, them simple procedures can take a lot out of you... you need to rest up. Good luck hunting season.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

Congrats to Eric on his doe.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Would have put up a picture but Eric had spined the doe and I finished it off with a shot to the head. All I will say is she did not hear the shot but it would have not made a pretty picture.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users