9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

Missouri recently passed a law that, if you have a valid Conceal Carry Permit, you can carry while archery hunting which was previously illegal to do. Of course you can't shoot at deer with it, but after all, you are bow hunting. I like being now covered since, like I'm sure many of you, my son and I go into areas where a firearm could save your life. Dangerous animals aren't the only threat either. Hunting public land, the most dangerous critter out there walks on two legs. My son and I once came upon a guy berating a man in a wheel chair for hunting with a crossbow. He was threatoning to beat the man to a pulp and take his xbow and wheelchair and leave him helpless in the woods. My son and I quickly put a stop to that, without the need of a firearm, but it goes to show the idiot low life's that walk among us. However while sleeping on a gravel bar, during a float trip, a firearm did come into play. My brother-in-law and I were just dozing off when a boat pulled up quietly. A man got out and started rumaging through our gear. The sound of a 12 ga being pumped sent him down river mighty fast. Another time, while walking a creek fishing, my son and his friend came upon some guys with guns who warned them away from the area and not too politely either. They'd either gotten too close to a pot crop or a Meth lab and could have easily just came up missing dropped down one of the many abandoned wells in the area!

My main point is that many look at the outdoors as a peaceful and safe place to be. It very well can be, but it can also be as dangerous as any dark alley, in a bad neighborhood, of a crime ridden city if you traspe around unprepared and unaware. Like the old saying, better to have and not need than to need and not have. ;) Also, it's nice to think that they realise that if you are responsible enough to have a Conceal Carry Permit then you should be concidered responsible enough to carry while pursuing a sport where a firearm could easily become needed.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 October 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

I just sat through a hunting meeting here and this came up about CC permits and bow hunting. You can carry while bow hunting in Ohio. The thing you have to be aware of is- it's not a hunting weapon and can not be used to dispatch an injured animal nor be used to hunt with. It's also a tough one to use for self defense against an animal attack because you have to show explicit proof how you defended yourself. In Ohio we have very few large predators so that part does not surprise me. The revolvers and pistols that can be used for hunting are much larger calibers and barrel lengths than your normal size CC revolver and they have a season of about a week that they can be used for hunting, while bow hunting spans from early season in September till close in February here in Ohio.

Personally I have never had an occasion where I wish I was carrying a loaded pistol for self defense while hunting. I hope that does not ever happen either. And I have never heard anyone tell a story about how they needed to carry or glad they did carry while hunting. :peace:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

You carry here too in PA. Which is a good thing. The other year a guy was assaulted & his vehicle stolen. They waited for him in the parking lot. We also had a murder dump a body of his pregnant girlfriend at my gamelands because she was keeping his kid & he didnt want his wife to find out. He was a vet & she was a vet tech. ( My link ) They're also handy if your in bear or big cat country. It's always good to be careful.

Edited by Whitetiger, 18 October 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I have never heard anyone tell a story about how they needed to carry or glad they did carry while hunting. :peace:

Well bud, I think you have now. ;)

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

I carry openly while bow hunting, a combat/thigh holster. Easy to draw while walking or sitting, even in a deerstand. If I need it fast, I ain't too crazy about digging through layers of clothes to get at it. I doubt I will ever need it, but I don't go anywhere without it.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

I don't know about elsewhere, but I'm told that here in Missouri if you have a Conceal Carry Permit then it's required that you always carry concealed. Even where open carry is allowed. How I carry concealed all depends on how I'm dressed but I always carry in a manner that allows fast easy access to my firearm. I agree whole heartedly with Jeff, it's not too pratical if you have to dig to reach your firearm when you need it fast.

Edited by Spirithawk, 18 October 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

You carry here too in PA. Which is a good thing. The other year a guy was assaulted & his vehicle stolen. They waited for him in the parking lot. We also had a murder dump a body of his pregnant girlfriend at my gamelands because she was keeping his kid & he didnt want his wife to find out. He was a vet & she was a vet tech. ( My link ) They're also handy if your in bear or big cat country. It's always good to be careful.

Nah that don't count - he's over in eastern PA near NJ where they have the influence of the mafia crime problems. I'd carry too there. :rofl:
Now we all of sudden over night here in Ohio have large predators being let loose from their cages 50 miles west of here. Our deer hunting will be adding another dimension to it till they the law in Zanesville kill or capture all those critters.:unsure:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yes Rowdy I saw that on TV man that can add some spice to a hunting trip. Lions, Tigers and Bears oh my. Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yes Rowdy I saw that on TV man that can add some spice to a hunting trip. Lions, Tigers and Bears oh my. Lol

Sorry Leo, you didnt have to go to africa after all, had you waited you could have saved & just gone to Ohio.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

You make a good argument Spirithawk. I guess I have to check into the game laws in Wisconsin now that CCW is allowed. I for one feel much better bow hunting deer when armed with a handgun. The problem is bear. In northern Wisconsin many of us hunt over bait piles for deer. (and we will not get into that aspect of hunting) The problem is, and I have personally encountered it, when in a tree or ground blind, you want to feel your nerves get on edge.. have a mother sow and a couple cubs come into the bait.

We had one bow hunter, stuck up a tree for over an hour by a sow bear. He did not want to shoot her with an arrow. He finally called friends on his cell phone and they came racing out to his stand on ATV's. The noise of the ATV's scared the sow and cubs off. And there he was, in his tree stand, near naked. He'd been throwing his clothing at the bear in an attempt to scare her off. Someone told him that worked. I later told him he was a fool. If that bear had made that many aggressive moves on me, she'd of been found dead at the base of the tree.

I was in a ground blind one afternoon and had a sow and cubs come within 10 yards of that blind. Believe me, that little cloth tent blind suddenly feels real claustrophobic when you have a sow and cubs outside. But she finally wandered off. And I immediately quit hunting for a couple days, it shook me up so bad. After that, I used to have some back up. Enough said there.

And I have encountered rather rude and arrogant A holes on my property, and when I ordered them to move on.. lets just say it was not a friendly atmosphere. There a handgun would have been very reassuring. So thanks for the heads up.. I will check into that aspect of the law.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users