8 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

i am looking to get a 22 revolver soon, what would be a good choice? i can't go over $300 and would like it to be under that, i'm on a tight budget and no way can i spend more than this. thanks

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

In a revolver I have always been partial to the Smith and Wesson line. Don't know if you could get one for your price or not.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Ruger or Taurus might have something in that cal. and price range.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

In a revolver I have always been partial to the Smith and Wesson line. Don't know if you could get one for your price or not.

I agree. In production Revolvers, S&W is tops. In my experience, everything is a more precise fit and functions smoother on a S&W revolver.
Posted Image

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Finding a "new" or even a good quality used .22 revolver,for less than 300 dollars, is going to involve a great deal of luck. I'm not familar with any brands that sell for that price new, although there might be some that I have never heard of. Good luck with your search

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

I have three .22 caliber handguns. One is a Taurus revolver. It is a very nice revolver, modeled after the Smith & Wesson. It is a very accurate revolver. The other is a Ruger Mark II target model with the bull barrel. Again, a very accurate pistol. The third is a Iver Johnson double action .22 pistol. Now 25 years ago, you might have got one in that price range. As for finding a handgun for that kind of money... you might look at High Point pistols. Whether they sell a .22 for that money I could not say.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

i went and got a heritage rough rider, the fit is excellent and the finish ain't too bad. at least not for $220 otd, and it shoots really well. i got the one with birdshead grip and 4inch barrel. thanks

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Take a look at Heritage Mfg. You can buy a .22 Convertible (.22 & .22 mag) for around $300 or a bit less. They are well made, have hammer block safeties and come stock with cocobolo grips. Also they now make them in 9 shot versions too. Here's mine;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 February 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Although I own a 22 cal handgun I, by far, prefer the more authorative attributes of the over 40 calibers that only come in Magnum calibers. I had an entire career in the military and in the air arm. Our motto was bomb the enemy from 8 countries and if the battle was close enough for any handgun it was far too close. The 22 is good for gaining shooting experience and fun to plink with but for any upcoming battles get something with more authority.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users