• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kolton

kolton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum but I wanted to introduce myself shortly.

I grew up in New York, but live in Alalabama now. Grew up hunting and continue to do so whenever I can. I recently came across ScoutLook Weather in another blog and I've been using it ever since to plan before I hunt.

It gives pretty accurate weather information, tools, etc and the two creators are avid hunters themselves, which means all the information has been very useful to me.

I recently went bowhunting last weekend and using their ScentCone feature I knew where I should place my treestands. I like a challenge for sure, but weather is not one I want to bother with. Their app just came out (if you have a droid or iPhone) and I like that as well just so it's handy when I'm out in the field.

Where do you guys like to hunt? How do you prepare for the weather?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi and welcome to the site. Being old school I just step outside wet my finger and hold it up. Being as I am frugal I then look for someone to give a wet willy to so as not to waste the wet finger. Just kidding. Weather can be a friend or your worst enemy. However used you can make the weather work for you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

I've actually been looking into this, as well as a full-featured GPS app, since acquiring my first Android phone a couple weeks ago. Cabela's has one that I think is close to all in one that I saw. But, still researching...

For now, I pretty much just check the National Weather Service and/or WeatherBug before bed and then again when I wake up "just in case". I've never put a whole lot of stock into solunar tables and things like that... mostly just because I figure ANY time in the woods is time well spent. But, if I had an app that checked that sort of stuff for me I'd likely try to stick it out and spend a little more time in the woods on the days that are supposed to be better than others.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 kolton

kolton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. Doing any hunting this weekend after Turkey Day?

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Me being from PA I will be out after the elusive wild turkey that our split season ends that day. Monday is PAs "buck" season opener for two weeks. Then after a short time on the 26th of Dec my favorite deer season opens for about three weeks and that is Flintlock muzzleloader season.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users