3 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

I recently read an article about the University of Texas messing with deer genes to grow bigger horns. I did not realize that this has become a multi million dollar business. People also sell the sperm of these giant horned animals. The article went on to say that a gentleman paid $600,000 for a deer because his horns went 300 plus. Surly Pope and young and Boone and Crocket are wise to these genetically altered deer. I often wondered why deer that were no bigger than dogs on these shows filmed in Texas were sporting head gear that almost broke their necks. Our sport has become tainted for tha almighty dollar. Do you guys think it is because of the hunting shows promoting huge horned deer taken on camera?

Steve

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

Improving upon "Mother Nature". It'swhat we do. We do it with farm animals, and with our food crops. We do it with our flowers and trees, we do it with fish that are stocked. Big bucks are worth "big $bucks" and bigger Bucks are worth even more. Places that charge to hunt don't charge by the "pound" by rather,by the "inch". For whatever reason, every hunter would love to shoot a large antlered white tail, this was true even before the advent of hunting shows. We all look to gain an edge, in our pursuit of this dream. We support a billion dollar (or is it a multi ?) industry. Better clothing,guns gear scents, and now even "better" deer. "Don't shoot little bucks" is the mantra of many states and deer orginizations, its been drummed into our heads for decades, and reinforced by the media. So, for better or worse, here we are,lol

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

None of those altered gene designer deer will ever make it out in the wild for hunter to see other than a ranch hunt like high fence type hunt. I read once about a high fence ranch in Michigan that had a large tree fall and take out a large section of the fence. The ranch knew some bucks got out. You never here or read about any 200" buck being killed in Michigan so I don't think the gene pool was altered much by those escapees.
It's all about the head gear, bones man more and bigger bone- look at all the bone a guy can collect. :rofl: High fence operations of deer ranches here in Ohio are huge money makers. They are several that have some monster bucks on them and allow some cull hunts on them for the smaller antler bucks. I have had some folks offer to take me on a high fence ranch to hunt here in northern Ohio. A big cull buck type hunt, still a big buck for most hunters walls,and it was for next to nothing $$. I was not at all excited about having those antler on my wall. It was not the high fence hunt that got me but it was the idea that this whole thing hinged on the antler size. Call me weird but that turns my clock back wards. Trophy isn't in the antlers or horn for me but the success of the hunt. ;) Fees that some outfitters charge for a Trophy animal isn't cool in my book either. JMHO

Here's my pet peeve, I hate the idea that someone started calling deer a deer. It's such an endearing word that brings the word dear to mind for the deer loving folks every time. I wish they called them anything but deer. :mellow: Changing the name would make it so much easier to say I'm going smut hunting than I'm going dear hunting. :blink:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 November 2011 - 12:46 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Rowdy just say you're going whitetail hunting that takes the deer/dear entandra out of the equation. ;)
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users