11 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

A gentleman paid $1,000,000 for this deer. It is the one with the mess on his head.These deer are on a high fence ranch in Leonard,Texas. Where are the fair chase rules. Looks to me like they are all pretty tame. If you look they all hve tags like cattle. I think if you click on pick it will blow it up. It worked for me anyway

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Steve

Edited by sschneid73, 09 December 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Can't see any of these photos cause of some account issue ---- sorry and I wish I could see them to be able to comment. High fence deer are being man made just like so many breeds of dogs and have some health issue or disability do to man's faulty breeding practices.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

I will try to fix the pics

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

My son-in-law raises the sheep that go to hunting ranches and each one has to have ear tags. That way the animal can be traced should something come up. I would suspect the same for farm raised deer too. I certainly would not drop that kind of cash even if I had it for any deer on the planet much less one in a high fence i.e. pen. I will take my collection of antlers most being subnormal but each with a real story behind it and I didn't even have to make up anything.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

I am with you Paul. I cherish each story behind all my mounts. I just can't imagine having something like that on your wall knowing the circumstances behind him let alone paying thast kind of money for it.

Steve

#6 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have hunted exotics on high fence places, mostly because of the people who I got to meet by doing it. The places I have hunted aren't overpopulated and it was still a hunt. I have not hunted deer on one though. The reason a lot of people raise these deer is to release back into the wild. In this instance though, I highly doubt that's the case. It's a money deal. The thing with the tags is these deer are just like cattle. These ranches will herd the deer into a pen in the spring when the fawns start dropping, count them, vaccinate them, tag them by age, etc. and send them back out into the "wild." Then, like cattle, when they reach their prime, they are sold. Instead of taking them to an auction, they are "hunted." Of course, high fences have been and argument for years and will remain so for years to come. The people that can afford to do it, will. The people who can't afford it, or disagree with it, won't. It's that simple. Personally, I don't like high fences, but what can you do. That's an easy way for the landowner to control the population and raise bigger deer. But I could also take you to handful of low fence, free ranging ranches,within 10 miles of where I hunt that have deer in the 200 inch range year after year. They do feed protein year around along with corn and food plots, but still, they are low fenced and free ranging. That's what I like to see more of. :-)

Just my thoughts.
BrandonT

#7 jdan

jdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

Awesome photos. Do you have better images. I want to send them to my uncle?

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for patching the link on those photos and they are some impressive bucks.

I bet some very rich ole guys would be willing to pay to shot it and hang it in his den. I have hunted high fence as well and it was hunting exotics not whitetail deer. It was mainly to meet up with some folks from here and enjoy the time out hunting on foot. Even if I had the money to pull the trigger on killing a buck like these I don't think I'd spend the money on a hunt like that. I could go to Africa and or a North American moose hunt for probably less than what that bucks' price tag.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for patching the link on those photos and they are some impressive bucks.

I bet some very rich ole guys would be willing to pay to shot it and hang it in his den. I have hunted high fence as well and it was hunting exotics not whitetail deer. It was mainly to meet up with some folks from here and enjoy the time out hunting on foot. Even if I had the money to pull the trigger on killing a buck like these I don't think I'd spend the money on a hunt like that. I could go to Africa and or a North American moose hunt for probably less than what that bucks' price tag.

I guarantee you can go to Africa and moose hunt many many times for less than $1,000,000. In fact, you will still have enough left over to pay for mounts and build a house to put them in.
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

I guarantee you can go to Africa and moose hunt many many times for less than $1,000,000. In fact, you will still have enough left over to pay for mounts and build a house to put them in.

Leo sir- you are absolutely correct - I missed the part of paying $1 mil and that's outrageous.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

I seriously doubt this deer was purchased just to hang on someones wall.

It's much more likely the purchaser intends to breed this buck and sell the offspring.
Posted Image

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I got tunnel vision trying to look at those weird bone formations and didn't pay close enough attention to the rest of the story and assumed it was a high fence hunt. I know - I know - I ASSumed and after reading your post I know of some high fence whitetail breeding ranches just north of here in Ohio. The amish own them and they make a good living selling the off spring of the very impressive bucks. They don't allow any photos of the herd either just what they have and have a high fence hunting in a small acreage ranch for the cull buck and does. I'll try to find their web site with some of their herd shots. Ohio whitetail breeder

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 13 December 2011 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users