6 replies to this topic

#1 BarnettTerror

BarnettTerror

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Doing research on crossbow injuries.
Many hunting forums have postings containing conversations about crossbow injuries. If anyone has experienced a crossbow injury, please take a moment to take a quick survey at;

https://docs.google....zRy1rc29LT2c6MQ

Just the other day at a BassPro in Orlando FL, a 16 year old with his parent went to buy a crossbow. While on the BassPro shooting range the youth fired the Styker crossbow and amputated the top portion of his thumb. This according to the archery department manager. Its just that easy.

Numerous accounts of finger(s) & thumb amputations. A few bolt injuries from strings and or limbs breaking.

This by know means is a "bashing" thread, but for research information. Please serous survey responses.

Thank you,

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Such amputation injuries are, unfortunately, "Just that easy."
As a former archery shop employee and current certified bowhunting instructor for the PA Game Commission, the first thing I always say when instructing anyone to fire a crossbow is to keep fingers/thumbs down, away from the rail at all times when the string is "cocked". This is repeated several times throughout the session. I have never personally witnessed a crossbow-related injury in ~10 years.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

No injuries here from a user of about 5 years.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Had a horton stag for 14 years no injuries. Had a string break on me but no injury. The first thing they showed in the safety video was to keep your fingers below the string in the "finger groove". Sounds like yet another case of inexperience and failure to receive proper instruction. Every time you pick up a new firearm,bow or crossbow it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the operation and specific safety considerations of that device. It's never good for anyone to get hurt, but a little forethought goes a long way.
Semper Fi

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

What I like about my Horton Legend XL175 is that it has kind of a handle for a forearm under the track & frame for you to gip that keeps your hand, and fingers, well clear of the string. To me it's a pretty good design and idea! With your thumb curled inside the cut out it's well protected and, as you can see, well away from the string.

You can see it under the track & frame in this pic. The thumbhole stock also tends to keep fingers, and thumbs, where they belong.
Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 December 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

I provide archery instructions for my local Fish & Game Club. About 20 years ago I was holding an indoor shooting session at the local municipal gymnasium. There were compounds, recurves and crsossbows on the line. I always stay back when others are shooting in order to monitor the line and provide direction and instructions when needed. As the evening wore down, there were only 2 or 3 shooters remaining. One gentleman was shooting an older crossbow. It may have been a Barnett, possibly an old old Wildcat at 120 lbs. I approached another shooter on the line to offer some assistance when I heard a loud SNAP behind me. I turned to see the crossbow shooter on his knees with his head bent and appeared to be in agony.

Apparently he was having some difficulty in c0cking the crossbow. It didn't have a foot stirrup to hold the bow while drawing the string back and he had been placing the stalk against his abdomen and pulling the bow string towards him to load it. He had been loading it like this for a while and had been successful in his efforts, but his arms and muscles must have become fatigued, so he decided to try another approach. Unbekownst to me, he had placed the stalk of the xbow on the floor, leaned over the bow, and tried to push the string into the loading position. He must have let the string slip from his hands, because the bow lept up from the floor as the prod snapped to its resting position. He must have been straddling the xbow to attempt this manouver, as the action of the prod hit him directly in the groin. He was in pain for several minutes and I heard the next day that he went to the hospital still complaining about lingering discomfort....to put it mildly.

Foot stirrups and load assist devices have certainly been a positive move in the crossbow industry. I see a lot of xbow hunters opt for mega poundage bows in the 225 + lb range and often see them struggle with loading them. Even if they are able to load it with an assit device, I rarely see them practice for long periods of time as it becomes more of a struggle to load it as each occassion presents itself. For that reason, I often suggest to people looking at buying a crossbow that they not turn up their noses at poundages in the 175 class as it is capable of taking ANY big game animal in North America, is a lot easier on the muscles and may offer them greater opportunities to practice.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

I agree wholeheartedly on the poundage of a crossbow. I had to quit a regular bow due to shoulder problems. The crossbow I have is 175 lbs draw weight and I use the rope device to draw the bow. It cuts the draw in half and I can handle that but much heavier it would be a real chore even with the rope. I cannot even see the arrow when shot at 20 yds so the 175 lbs will do the job and not fatigue the shooter.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users