• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Since PA's flintlock season is only a few days away and I did not feel comfortable with my previous sighting in session I got it out today and did some shooting. I have been shooting open sights since 1955 and I did a really dumb thing. I was shooting to the right and twice moved the rear sight to the right and finally was all the way off the paper. Kind of in disgust I stopped for lunch and while eating I suddenly remembered that I needed to move my point of impact to the left so needed to move the rear sight to the left. I finally readjusted the sight and although not quite to my liking yet it is close. One more session and look out deer here I come just a belching smoke and maybe fill the pocket full of tags I still have. I was also reminded that my flintlock shooting skills were just a tad rusty.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 16 December 2011 - 07:19 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Happy shooting Paul and may you fill your freezer.

Steve

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Steve. It may look like I am getting desparate to fill the freezer but remember I got two deer in Kansas and brought back meat from there and Eric and I share equally in our kills so I have the equilivant of another deer already in the freezer. I have passed up a couple of chip shots so far so It isn't like we will go hungry or anything like that. I ,ust have had a senior moment on the sight movement I know better than that but did it anyway.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

After church today I got the flinter back out and dialed it in without moving it the wrong way. I am pleased with it and even a bit proud of my shooting ability with a flintlock. I am ready for our season that starts in just over a week.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Glad to hear your all set. Good luck.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I also posted this on another site and even Shiloh, and MRD admitted to having done this on occasion. It did not make me feel better but did relate that even the skilled have done this a time or two or three. I really am pleased with my efforts despite the small hitch in my giddeyup. It did remind me to get this rifle out more often to keep my flintlock skills honed.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Best of luck to you and Eric Diganali. My Optima Pro did it's job well this weekend. Check out my post in the Deer forum. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users