4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

In Ohio recently a man decided to unload his muzzleloader by firing it into the air. Not only an extremely foolish thing to do but it ended in the death of a 15 year old Amish girl whom the bullet came down and killed!

On many "Break Open" muzzleloaders such as mine and my son's Optimas, and many in-lines in general, it is very easy to simply pull the breech plug and push the load on through with the ramrod. The advantages are many; foremost it's SAFE! Also, the bore remains clean, as it hasn't been fired, and you can reuse the pellets and bullet so no waste! With the breech plug removed the pellets will usualy just drop right out, you only need to push the bullet through. :) Even if the rifle has been fired, and reloaded, it's still by far the safest way to unload.

Firing a gun in the air is equivilant to just closing your eyes, pointing it in a random direction and pulling the trigger! It's every bit as dangerous!

Firing into the ground isn't realy safe either. You may just hit something other than just dirt. We found that out years ago when the fired bullet came flying back hitting a friend square in the chest. Luckily it had lost steam, only left a bruise, but it was a serious awakening and a lesson learned and never to be forgot! On traditional muzzleloaders, either pull the bullet or shoot into a target you KNOW is safe!

Bullets don't have brains folks and unfortunately people don't always use their's. Think before pulling the trigger. You'll not likely regret it that you did. :)

Prayers go out to the poor girl and her family and to the man who fired the shot. He has to live with it the rest of his life, and rightly so!

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I had read that story. The girl was in a buggy over a mile and a half away. Talk about when your number is up. But again, you are so correct in ... that rifle shot in the air is as dangerous as shooting any center fire in the air. It can travel miles before finding a home. And as in this case it ended the life of a unfortunate young girl. If you have time a great place to unload a rifle is in an old flat faced chunk of wood. I have a piece of spruce that is over two feet thick and I set it on end. If I shoot into the flat face of it, the bullet is on the ground (yes they will pass through) a few feet behind. I also have a steel bullet trap that when the bullet hits it splatters.. and the trap is angled in such a manner that the bullet falls to the ground (in theory).

So remember unload in a safe manner. Frozen ground is not safe. Rocks are a no no. Trees are too nice to shoot. An old stump is perfect if the background is clear. But in the air is DANGEROUS. Lets all be sure to keep in our hearts the thought of that young lady that had to die so needlessly.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

I read it also and could not imagine the odds of that happening. That county is mainly rolling farm country with small county roads. She was moving when she was hit. :pray: :pray: for her and her family.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 December 2011 - 01:12 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

I drilled into my sons that they could only control the bullet till the trigger was squeezed, after that they no longer have control so be sure it goes where you intended it to go. A few years ago locally a person was struck, I believe in the neck, by a 22lr bullet. As I recall it had traveled a very long way also but still had enough power to do damage but the person was not killed. There is no such thing as being too careful but if we are as careful as possible it sure lessens the possibility of error, fatal or otherwise.

A bunch of years ago I went groundhog hunting with my 270 rifle. I fired 4 shots and connected on all four whistle pigs. When I arrived back home my next door neighbor asked me if I had seen anything where I was hunting. I asked her what she meant and she said that she had heard on her scanner that someone was shot near where I was hunting. Talk about getting weak in the knees. When she said where it was I was even more concerned as it was only a couple hundred yards from where I shot the four shots. I mentally recapped all my shots and two were in the general direction of the supposed calamity but since those shots were infront of about a 5 food bank of dirt I reasoned it could not have been my shots. Only a few minutes passed and I knew that I would never sleep till I found out more. I called the police and asked about the shooting but was told it was still an ongoing case and he could not discuss the case. After several attempts to gain any info I finally stated that I had gone groundhog hunting in that area and had fired 4 shot from a powerful hunting rifle. The policeman simply stated that I had nothing to do with the shooting. I pressed on with my questions and all he said was you did not cause the situation. He asked me what time I fired the shots and I replied that it was between 7:30 and 8:00 and again he said you did not cause the shooting. I finally asked how he absolutely knew I was not involved and he said it happened somewhere between 4:30 and 5:00 and it was a 22 rifle and it was a suicide not an accidental shooting. You can only imagine my relief at that information. I of course have continued to hunt since then but it makes me think every time I pull the trigger. One cannot be too careful.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

All goes back to know your target and what is beyond it. Very tragic that a young girl died due to ignorance. He had probably done the same thing hundreds of times without incident,but it only takes once.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users