• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

The first day of PA's Special Flintlock season dawned with Eric , our neighbor and I hitting the ridgetop behind our houses. As my neighbor also a coworker with Eric topped the ridge we went only about 150 yds along the trail and I looked down the side and thought I saw something. It was not yet full daylight and I dismissed it as a stump. Yep it took off and ran with another behind it and me without powder in the pan The neighbor had a bow but all arrows were in the quiver. A couple steps later a grouse took off. After crossing the ridgetop we jumped another grouse. Eric pushed the ridge just above the fields but no deer came our way. This afternoon we went across the valley and climbed to the top to retrieve his ladder stand he left there after our Buck season. Man that was a job. It is a 15 footer in three sections. We had to cart it about 75 yds up the really steep mountain to the top and all the way down the back side to the truck. I carried my flintlock and 2 sections of ladder and Eric carried the top section with the seat. That was near as hard as toting a deer but the truck was finally in sight as dusk was deepening. No shots today but there is tomorrow.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Good luck, I will be heading to the shop!:yes:

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Our second day was much the same as the first except the Good Lord did not provide a beautiful sunrise as he did yesterday. My neighbor and I went back to the same locale as yesterday and Eric went down into the valley and pushed the woods up to us. Rankin, our neighbor, saw 5 deer but were too far away for a shot. Evidently Eric pushed them up past us. At 10:30 the skys opened up and it began to rain. We took off for the truck and by the time we got there our hats and outer coats were starting to soak through. It is supposed to rain all day today so we will have to try again tomorrow.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

This morning dawned to greet winds 20-30 mph and gusts much higher. Eric and I drove to a farm we have hunted many years. We sat in the truck for a bit and the radio announcer said the temp was 2 degrees lower than when I got up but the wind was really howling, enough to make whole trees move. We did go up the fields to the woods and after only a few yards in the woods we saw turkeys lots of turkeys. This is one of our favorite turkey hunting sites so we were encouraged. After a couple hundred yards that flock crossed the road and after some had already we counted about 20 birds. Only about 75 yds later in the other direction more turkeys were sighted. We did kick up several grouse but no deer after traveling in a big circle. By this time the temp was less than 30 so we headed home and hopefully the wind will die down and the deer will resume more normal activities.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I took off this morning feeling a bit tired. I felt better after sleeping in. The wind had died down and I decided to go out this afternoon and sit till dark. I went up behind the house and crossed over the top of the ridge and about half way down the other side. I sat there till it was nearly dark and it started to snow. I slowly made my way back to the top and when I started down I jumped several deer and they ran right past my truck parked below. Oh man I should have just sat in the truck, I would have had better luck.

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Keep after them Paul !
Ken & I are planning to hunt down your way tomorrow above the AG farms out on rte 45. :hunter:
Posted Image

#7 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Report?
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have been out a number of times since I last reported. It seems that the deer are only a very short way from the valley fields and are not traveling up the sides of the ridges. I have hunted several times but no luck. Eric and I went to what we refer to as our honey hole one evening and sat through sunshine that turned to a quick but intense snow shower which is not good for flintlock rifles. I sat a few feet from Eric as he seems to be a deer magnet. I covered my lock with my gloved hand during the squall and almost immediately after Eric whispered that a deer was headed our way. I had to turn some to get ready to shoot. The deer saw just a little movement and stopped at about 35 yds. Only problem was it stopped with its vitals hidden behind the only tree between me and it. I held for what seemed like an hour till the rifle started to waver a bit. It was either shoot or lower the rifle. I could see its head plainly and decided to try that. I pulled the trigger but all I got was a click and the deer had enough and ran back where it came. I either had not adequately protected the lock or had heated it enough to cause moisture or both. The pan powder was still loose and my ego was deflated. Although I had only a few shots on that flint it had a weak spark the next day so I shot, cleaned and changed the flint and have not seen a deer since. The other day I went out in the afternoon and sat at a low saddle and heard a twig snap behind me. Nothing came by so just before dark I stood and walked over the top and several turkeys flew up into the trees. That was encouraging as this is also where were like to hunt them too but had not been seeing much evidence of them. The mast crop was not good this year so that could be the reason for the deer not traveling up the ridge as they usually do. We have a couple of days to hunt yet so the saga continues.....

#9 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

We used to come down and hunt the flintlock season around Milford, PA. I feel your pain when it comes to flash in the pan guns.

Looking forward to a report at the end of your trails.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

End of season report: Today was the last of the season. My son and I went out this morning to a spot that had a bunch of sign and potential. After sitting and freezing for a couple of hours as it was 11 degrees when I left the house. I saw a few squirrels but no deer. We went back out to the honey hole where I had the misfire as I just had a feeling. We sat there and as the sun went down the freezing rain began. I heard deer coming but with the rain I could not pinpoint exactly where. I pulled the hammer back and removed the hanky but the deer must have seen me move as it hightailed along with one or two others. I sat there till it was too dark to see the sights and so ended my season with a huge slice of humble pie. We did see another deer in a cornfield as we walked back in the dark. I do not recall a season such as this one with such spooky deer. If you were not ready to shoot before they came into sight you were spotted.

#11 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for all the updates Paul. It has been fun hunting with you through your posts.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thank you very much. My aim when talking of a hunt is to take my readers with me to experience not just the result but the feelings and emotion in getting there that I experienced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users