• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Been hunting a bunch but the finding very little. This afternoon I decided to sit beside my son as he has been having all the luck. It was cold and blowing a ton and we went from sunshine to a mini blizzard in just seconds. Just as the snow quit Eric whispered that a deer was coming. I had to turn in that direction and the deer caught me getting a shot ready. It stopped nearly broadside at about 35 yds except a tree obstructed its vitals. I held the rifle for what seemed like hours but am sure it was only a minute or two. Finally I was starting to waiver and if I did not shoot soon I would have to lower the gun. I decided to try a head shot and touched it off. Only problem was I got no spark and so only got a click and the deer ran off unscathed. Not sure what happened because that is a nearly new flint. It is possible that some snow did some interference while I was holding so long. Aah the joys of flintlocking.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades! :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

I suspect that my gloved hand did not protect the lock during the snow shower. The flint is an english flint and only a couple of shots from it and sparked really good prior to loading. I held my gloved hand over the lock during the snow but the deer showed up immediately after and I had no time to see if the flint or lock had any moisture on it. I suspect that is what happened. I will check out things today.

#4 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Been there and done that Paul.:wacko:

Steve

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

You're probably right on. I would guess the frizzen got damp or moisture from the blizzard. It don't take a lot to stop that flint from sparking. And you know, that is the pleasure of flintlock shooting.

The other day when it was snowing like the devil here, I wanted to see if I could make a flintlock work over and over in the snow with the wind. I was surprised at how well the Trade Rifle actually worked. But I never let that frizzen sit out in that snow too long. I had one misfire. I think the flint sparked, but the pan powder never ignited. It did on the second strike though. So if that had been the same case as your had.. I would have been writing your post. Better luck next time.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yesterday I got the rifle out of the truck and loaded the pan and went to the bench. I squeezed the trigger and as best as I could see no spark. I pulled the hammer and closed the pan for one more try and kaboom she went off. After cleaning the accusporter all up I pulled the hammer back and touched it off but only got a weak spark. I then replaced the flint and I got a whole lot of spark infact one spark made two circles around the pan. I did some checking on the possibility of replacing the frizzen as mine looks kinda shiny. I called the man who owns the retail part of RMC and he said he did not have a replacement frizzen and I would have to contact L&R and arrange to send my lock back to the company as those L&R locks were a sort of custom job. He also said those frizzens were hardened to last a normal lifetime and as long as I was getting a spark I should not worry about it.

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image You are going to have to sell that antique and modernize with a new Weatherby, Paul. If you were closer, I could loan you one. :lol: Keep trying! One of these days that thing might go bang.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Now see, right there was your problem my friend. Using an English Flint on an American gun! ;) Don't let that young whippersnapper Eric give you lip. I'm betting he has a ways to go before he gets near you harvest count. :) That's what I keep reminding Jason of when he gets too cocky. lol

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yes keeping our youngins in line is a full time job. Especially when he can beat me to the top of the mountain. Of course I just say that I hunted my way up and saw more game than he did. Of course when you bring em up proper like and teach them what you know and they begin to beat you at your own game you know you are getting old. Of course there is a great amount of pride in seeing all that happen.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yes keeping our youngins in line is a full time job. Especially when he can beat me to the top of the mountain. Of course I just say that I hunted my way up and saw more game than he did. Of course when you bring em up proper like and teach them what you know and they begin to beat you at your own game you know you are getting old. Of course there is a great amount of pride in seeing all that happen.

Couldn't have said it better Diganali. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users