5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ya know? A lot of folks claim that those who get CCW Permits do so because we want to play Cowboy. Best they can come up with to trash us I guess. If they had a clue as to what they are talking about they would know just how lame a statement they are spouting. If you take on the resonsibility of carrying you are held to far stricter standards than those who don't. That is as it should be. Someone legaly carrying is far more likely to walk away from a fight and far more likely to avoid a confrontation, than someone who doesn't carry. Either that or you quickly lose your right to carry. Kinda shoots, pardon the unintentional pun, the heck out of the Cowboy insinuations now don't it? ;) Add to that that National Stats say a Permit holder is 300% less likely, than a non-permit holder, to commit a firearm related crime and the nay sayers have to realy stretch their imaginations to come up with an argument. Usualy when confronted with those facts they start stuttering, their faces turn red, and they resort to tantrums! :rofl:

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well... :huh:
Err... :blush:
Pfft!! :curse:

:P

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I think in practice, most permit holders are not cowboys/heros. I think perhaps some non-permit holders may get that idea of us from reading stuff we write on the internet. Look back at some of the topics in this forum. One could get the idea from some responces that some would relish a gun fight. While I don't believe that to be true, we certainly can seem to be a bit bullish at times. Read some other gun forums, its the same there also. Like I said, I don't know any cowboys in real life, but there seems to be a few around on the internet

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm looking into getting my wife a handgun for a ccw class. The reason being that the business she manages has been robbed at gunpoint twice. Next time I want the robber to leave in a meatwaggon with a couple slugs in them. I have gotten the call twice from my wife in tears saying they were robbed. Both times my heart sank thinking about what could have happened. I whole-heartedly believe that if my wife had a ccw and used it the first time, the second would not have happened. There are several things that could have prevented the first robbery but the company is too sorry to install video survellance. I also have my wife looking elsewhere for a new job. I don't want my wife to HAVE TO use a gun against anyone, but I will feel better if she has it just incase.
Semper Fi

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I personally do not think that a CCW permit is done so because the shooter has a "John Wayne Syndrome" as we used to call it. Although, there are a few out that with that attitude. But of course you take any group of individuals, and somewhere in that group you will find a faction that believes they are there to do something special, or can make a difference.

I think most CCW holders are just ordinary people fed up with being a victim. Maybe not personally yet, but if you stay in a bull pen long enough as my Dad used to say, the bull will take notice. And with that said, people that live in areas where crime is more prevalent, of course run the higher risk of being victim to crime.

A problem we face in current society is the burden we have placed on police departments. We expect them to handle all kinds of calls, from stray dogs, family fights, runaway children, to murder. And at the same time, while more and more demands are placed on police departments, funding for additional officers on the streets, additional man hours, and equipment are cut, due to budget restraints. So the old saying.. where's a cop when you need one.. is coming true. They can not be every where. But that does not mean crime had decreased. On the contrary, if anything, unemployment, drug use, the disillusionment of young people, and unfortunately we have been raising young people in this country who feel the right to demand things. And they want it NOW!! All of these have added to the crime rates in our country.

So the results is.. people will protect themselves. And that is what I believe the vast majority of CCW applicants have in mind when they go armed. Not because they want to get into a gun battle at the local 7-11 or catch a bank robber. But instead, should an attacker threaten them or their family, maybe even a total stranger in need of protection.. now they have the tools to take action and protect themselves until police can come and take over. And remember, we are not police, we are the eyes and ears of police. Report suspicious people in your community, but that don't mean you have to confront them. Stay safe out there.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I have a carry permit and have had it for many years. Having spent nearly 35 years in the military I have given much thought to carrying for self defense. First it would have to be a serious situation for me to be prompted to use a weapon in that situation but then again I would not take a knife to a gun fight. When the police or even the military have to respond to a serious situation they come armed and I will be the same. I am slow to anger but I sure would pity the perp that would place me in a life or death situation.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users