9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

So whatcha think? Any shooters? ;) These were all snapped last Tuesday at just after 11am. There is a large scrape right there and it had definitely been refreshed..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First thought this was the same Buck as the pic of the one above and two below but notice something? No brow tines. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 January 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Wow those are some real head ornaments. I do believe there are some shooters there.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Wow those are some real head ornaments. I do believe there are some shooters there.

Yep Paul, we are amazed at the number, and quallity, of Bucks we're seeing in this one small area. We were'nt able to hunt much this year, due to being banged up, but next year sure looks promising. One thing that has realy proven effective for us is we put out Trophy Rocks. We've tried all the supposed magic lures but these have worked far better than any of them. Combine a dominant Buck scent close by and they came from all over it seems. :)

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Put out some minerals and high protein type feed and those bucks will go a bit larger. I'd be setting up a ladder stand or a pop up style blind down on that pocket. Two of those bucks look pretty young yet like 2.5 year olds but the one looks to be dad and by next season should be in his prime.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Put out some minerals and high protein type feed and those bucks will go a bit larger. I'd be setting up a ladder stand or a pop up style blind down on that pocket. Two of those bucks look pretty young yet like 2.5 year olds but the one looks to be dad and by next season should be in his prime.

We have a ladder stand already up. These deer are just 20 yards from it. Also thinking of putting up a blind in the area. Besides the Trophy rocks we plan on keeping Deer Cane out. Also corn but we have to remove the corn 10 days before season opens.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

Here in PA we cannot use any form of baiting i.e. corn, deer cane, minerals of any kind. If the game protector finds anything of the sort in addition to a stiff fine he can close an area of 1/4 to 1/2 mile around the site. That can put a crimp in ones hunting even if you had nothing to do with anything if your stand is within the area he or shw designates you be done hunting there. This happened near our hunting camp line on the neighboring property. The owner found someone had spread corn. He came over to tell us that he found it and called the game warden. When the warden arrived they cleaned it all up and since it was very recent he did not see any heavy deer activity around and because the man had reported it and cleaned it up he did not put any restriction on the hunting which was good as it would have included a part of our land and several choice location.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Here in PA we cannot use any form of baiting i.e. corn, deer cane, minerals of any kind. If the game protector finds anything of the sort in addition to a stiff fine he can close an area of 1/4 to 1/2 mile around the site. That can put a crimp in ones hunting even if you had nothing to do with anything if your stand is within the area he or shw designates you be done hunting there. This happened near our hunting camp line on the neighboring property. The owner found someone had spread corn. He came over to tell us that he found it and called the game warden. When the warden arrived they cleaned it all up and since it was very recent he did not see any heavy deer activity around and because the man had reported it and cleaned it up he did not put any restriction on the hunting which was good as it would have included a part of our land and several choice location.

Here minerals are ok year around. They just can't have any food source included in them, such as grain. That's why we tried the Trophy Rocks. Don't know if you are familiar with them but they are an all-natural mineral lick containing more than 60 beneficial trace minerals and come in rock like chunks. We can put out actual food sources off season but, as I said, they must be completely removed 10 days prior to season. Here too, one can be found guilty of hunting over bait, if an area is baited, even if you were not aware it was baited. What is confusing though is that I've yet to find any mention of how large an area would be concidered off limits.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Once deer seasons are over we too can feed or place minerals but they must be cleaned up and removed, I believe, at least a month before season. I would not want to hunt turkeys if deer feed is still present as that I am sure is a no no. I do know several people that used buckwheat for turkeys as it is nearly impossible to see but the turkeys go after it. That being said you can hunt to your hearts content near a corn field or a soybean field with no consequence. Go figure. I recall one year long ago of seeding a corn field with a little more corn but it did not work any better.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Baiting turkeys is a NO NO too. Yep kinda strange what they concider baiting. apples fallen from a tree are ok to hunt over. Get caught shaking the tree and you get fined. Grain fields are ok to hunt over, even harvested ones, yet knock the grain down on purpous to hunt over and it's baiting. Can't toss anything out either, such as your adding grain to the field.

Edited by Spirithawk, 18 January 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes it is also illegal to even spread corn in a corn field here too. but just as there we can hunt under an apple tree or in a corn field just don't bring your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users