• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Today was the last day of our Flintlock season. Went out this morning to a promising spot but only saw a few squirrels. At least they were not shivering as much as I was in the 11 degree morning. Came back after a huge circle to the truck and went to lunch. Eric and I went back to the honey hole where I had the earlier misfire as I just had a feeling. Eric kept insisting that it was just gas but we went anyway. The day had warmed a bit to about 37 degrees but freezing rain and sleet was predicted to start sometime in the evening. Apparently evening starts right about sundown as it began to rain. I heard deer noises but could not pinpoint the exact location in the rain and heavy brush. Eric was about 20 yds away and thought I had not heard the noise and went pssst I glanced his way and he pointed. I looked to see a does head about 40 to 50 yds away through the brush. I pulled my hankerchief off the lock and pulled the hammer back but before I could raise the rifle the deer ran off with one or maybe two close behind. Thus my season ended with a wimper instead of a bang.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well you got to see deer. And that makes the day worth while. Shame you did not get a shot, but that's hunting for you. Think of this.. you might have shot that deer, had to drag it out, gut it, butcher it, but of course eat it. Better luck next year.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree I had a good season. Where we were at and the distance from the truck would have made it a tough drag. We can drive to near the top on one side then walk about 80 yds to the top but then we have to work our way all the way down the other side which is rather steep. We then have to walk about a 1/2 mile to our spot. Any time we have shot a deer there it was a gut wrenching time to drag it to the top. I still have a bunch of meat in the freezer so we will dine on the wild side till next season.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users