• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Recently added 2 new carry guns, a Sig P250 sub-compact in .40 cal. and a Ruger LC9, which of course is 9mm. Shot both this past weekend at the range, put 100rds through each gun,no jams or other malfunctions. Both are Double action only. Both are very accurate, although I prefer the trigger pull on the Sig over the Ruger. Posted Image

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Those are pretty cool. my son is into carry pistols too and I get to shoot them and hand them back.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Nice addition to your collection. I found a lighter weight .40 harder to get back on target for second and third shot in rapid shooting. It has the right punching power for self defense in close shooting but mine does have some kick compared to a 9mm.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

I really like Sig. The P250 sub specs are almost the same as the G27 sub I carry.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Size comparison between the Sig P220 .45 and the Sig p250 sub-compact. Mark, the .40 had some decent recoil shooting 180gr FMJ high grade ammo, when I switched over and shot the 165gr Federal Premium personal defense rounds,the recoil was way lighter, I suppose because of the lighter bullet, and lighter powder load.Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Good point Jeff, I'll have to remember to check what my ammo says when I get home tonight. I might be switching to a lower grain ammo.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well either would make an excellent home or self defense weapon. I know a lot of people distrust the 9mm because of stopping power, but there are ways around that. Its called a double tap. We were taught a double tap system of shooting when I was a police officer, and we changed from a .357 (about broke my heart to give up that 686, In fact I purchased my duty weapon as I could not bare to part with it) to the Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol. I might add, the 9mm was accurate, did not jam, but I never liked it as much as the old wheel gun.

I handled both pistols after reading your post, while at Gander Mountain. Of the two, the feel of the Ruger was more appealing. I still do not know why, but it just "fit my hand" and that to me is important when you have to shoot, and shoot fast. What is your over all opinion of their trigger. Gander Mountain of course would not let me play with the trigger. You mentioned you liked the Sig trigger better. Was there that much of a difference. Also did the Ruger control well on the follow up shot?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

The trigger pull on the Ruger is very smooth, just keep pulling, and Boom. But it Seems to be a longer pull. The trigger on the Sig seems to stiffen up just before it fires, it allows me to "know" when it's about to go off. I prefer that. Both are fast for the second shot, provided I use both hands, As a lefty, I tend to shoot low right with one handed shots with both guns, something I am working on. Also, the Ruger clip has a lip on the bottom for ones little finger, the Sig does not, although I have discovered if I point my little finger rather than clasp it, I tend to pull the pistol less. The Ruger fits great in a "pocket", while the Sig (about .250 wider) is better suited for a holster. Both guns will tear up a 3 inch bullseye at 40 ft.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

mud duck... thanks so much for that. When I was talking to the counter man at Gander Mountain.. he must have thought I knew nothing about guns, and I did not let on. But he was telling me the Ruger jams a lot which you have dispelled, he also said the Ruger had a so so trigger.. So when i saw your comment, I was immediately interested. If you can make a weapon rock and roll at 15 yards, that's about all a person needs. Most shooting situations are even closer then that. I have a lot of handguns, but nothing I want to "conceal carry" at the moment. I was looking for something that would fit in a pocket.

Actually the Ruger looks like my Iver Johnson.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users