3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

I was wondering if anyone has tried these vanes out yet. I have the 4" on and they shoot fine for me and don't get wrinkled up like some folks complain about (only when they rub something will they do that.) :angry:

These newer vanes are smaller and lighter than their 4" quikspin and would like to try some out and was seeing the response you all have about them.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

I have fletched out six arrows of the 3.12 size NAP quikspins and they work okay on fixed broadheads. I used a right helical on them.

Last week I tried the 2" speed hunter quikspins out on six GT Pro Hunters 5575 and they can hunt for me. I put them on with right helical over wraps. The glued really easy and fast.

They do as good a job as the 2" Blazers vanes and maybe better to control a fixed broadhead for me. Now this is around 290 fps out my Bowtech Allegiance and 280 fps out of my mathews Switchback with Razorcaps broadheads. Razorcaps are fairly long head but don't plane with these vanes.

I give a 4 out 5 and I'd rate them higher if they didn't cost so much being there around $19 for 36.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Rowdy you're proving something I have long suspected.

Shorter vanes stabilize faster arrows BETTER.

The reason I think this is so, is that the shorter vanes are less likely to "turb out" at higher speeds than the longer ones. What I mean by this is that at speeds >280fps a long aggressively helical vane will fail to cause the arrow to spin because the airflow over it is too turbulent. This is analogous to putting an aggressively pitched prop on a high speed outboard. It might increase your holeshot but top end will be LOWER.
Posted Image

#4 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

I switched to the new 2" Speed Hunters 2 months ago and love them all the way out to 55 yards with G5 Montec 100's ( Fixed Blades )

Last year I used the 2.125 low profile QS Vanes. I enjoyed them But had to try the new ones and found I didn't have to have almost erfect form to get my fixed blades to fly like my field points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users