13 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Missouri gets stranger and stranger. I read today that now during Muzzleloader Season it will be legal to use bows, crossbows, atlatls, air powered firearms and get this....handguns fireing centerfire cartridges! Seems they should change the name from Muzzleloader Season to Practicly Anything Goes Season!

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: from the sound of it i think you're right. The deer herd must not be reduced enough for their purposes so they opened it up during MZ season on the herd so you can kill one any way you can. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: from the sound of it i think you're right. The deer herd must not be reduced enough for their purposes so they opened it up during MZ season on the herd so you can kill one any way you can. ;)

I'd say you're right. Missouri has realy been messing with us though. You practicly need to carry a computer with you so you can keep abreast of all the regulation changes. Hate it that they moved ML Season till the week of Christmas. Makes it hard to travel anywhere to hunt because you have to be back home for Christmas day.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have stopped trying to figure out the Department of Natural Resources. Our State is no better. It seems silly that your DNR would allow all that other kind of weapons in the muzzleloader season, but I have seen more and more states doing exactly that. They want to reduce the herd, and most of all they want to coax other hunters into the sport. All we can do is shake our heads.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have stopped trying to figure out the Department of Natural Resources. Our State is no better. It seems silly that your DNR would allow all that other kind of weapons in the muzzleloader season, but I have seen more and more states doing exactly that. They want to reduce the herd, and most of all they want to coax other hunters into the sport. All we can do is shake our heads.

If their reasoning is to thin the herd I'd be perfectly happy if they just extended the season. ;)

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

I would say that MO does not have any sort of corner on the wierd law market. We have a flintlock only season that has remained just that but when it started it was flintlocks only and thankfully that remains today but way back then the projectile finally settled to the patched round ball only. Most recently subtle changes have been enacted to now include any type of bullet you want, even sabotted jacketed bullets. Each year there is a hue and cry to change the flintlock season to any muzzleloader season but so far it has not happened, although we do have a 1 week season in October where you can use any muzzleloader to shoot a doe there are some people that cannot get it through their heads that the late season is and should remain flintlock only. If those who do the most crying about our special late season would only break down and get a flintlock they can happily join the ranks of those that have enjoyed the season for many years.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

You know me Paul. It would just give me an excuse to buy another rifle. As if I needed one. ;)

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

In Arkansas archery runs from Oct 1st to Feb 28th. So you can use archery tackle in any other season. You can also use muzzleloader gear during the modern gun season, so it doesn't seem odd to me for Missouri to allow other "primitive arms". It's all what you're used to. On the flipside I heard on the radio that they are thinking about changing the antler restrictions yet again which may allow "scrub bucks" to flourish and pass on defective genetics. I think there needs to be some exception to the rule to cull the bucks with severely deformed racks to be taken.
Semper Fi

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

In Arkansas archery runs from Oct 1st to Feb 28th. So you can use archery tackle in any other season. You can also use muzzleloader gear during the modern gun season, so it doesn't seem odd to me for Missouri to allow other "primitive arms". It's all what you're used to. On the flipside I heard on the radio that they are thinking about changing the antler restrictions yet again which may allow "scrub bucks" to flourish and pass on defective genetics. I think there needs to be some exception to the rule to cull the bucks with severely deformed racks to be taken.

I can see the other weapons; bow, crossbow, atlatl, and maybe even air powered firearms, as primitive weapons. However, how the heck do they figure center fire handguns belong during ML Season? That's what puzzles me most.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Norm, the handguns are kindof a stretch I'll admit. The only thing I can say is that it's the government. They just don' t do too many things that make sense to me.
Semper Fi

#11 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think it only matters if you have a dog in this fight, and your dog is losing,lol. Same reasoning/ arguments about allowing able bodied people to use crossbows during the archery season. I was against it, but in reality, it affected me 0 percent. Pistols are short range guns, about the same as muzzle loaders ( not talking about those Thompson "pistols" that are shooting rifle cartridges) although they will shoot multiple times. I'd be interested in seeing if participation in that late season hunt increases dramatically. I would think it wouldnt

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'll try to let you know Jeff. I'm hoping to still be around come next Muzzy Season. Particularly since I just bought a new .50 barrel for my Encore. :) I'm waiting to hear from a surgeon in the next few days. Was told I have severe Mitral Regurgitation and need the Mitral Valve replaced. One surgeon already said it's too risky concidering scar tissue from the bypass and my other health problems. He refused to do it and told me he didn't want to put me through it due to the risk. My cardiologist seems to think it's necesary so has me seeing another surgeon. Not too sure how I feel about it but I'm going to tell him I'll go with it only if it's absolutely necesary and I don't have long without it being done. For all I know he may not want to do it either. Waiting sure can be trying on the nerves. Kinda danged if I do, danged if I don't.

Edited by Spirithawk, 01 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Speaking of an atlatl, I had watched a show on the history channel on how to make one. So of course I ran out to the shop and made one. Got some wood dowel and made the spears/arrows... that was quite the show that afternoon learning how to throw one. Make one and then see if you can master it. If I could hit a deer with that, I would be proud.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

I came across the description of an atlatl many years ago. Although intrigued I was never tempted to make one or try my hand at it. Now with shoulder problems I am reluctant to engage in this activity. I always wondered how anyone could connect with an atlatl considering all the movement required to operate that simple machine.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users