New Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Well all after being computerless for almost a year, I finally broke down and got a new one. Now I can be on here a bit more often.... I have been making due with the tablet we had but it was just a frustrating piece of equipment(not what I normally call it). So it is good to have a computer so I can actually type at a reasonable speed, though it is not nearly the speed my wife can type at nor the accuracy. I only paid $500 for it after taxes, layaway and an extended warranty and it's an all in one if you haven't seen them they're great the tower and monitor are combined into one piece of equipment. It's an Acer Aspire Z1620. And it's more than capable of doing anything I need to do.
Semper Fi

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Acer makes decent computers. Just make sure you kill off the bundled "trial" stuff or it will drive you nuts.

I just got a new Asus desktop. Best Buy is carrying them now. It's a great way to go if you don't want or need all the extra stuff a lot of box store PCs are bundled with nowadays.

"Open Office" is plenty for most home computers and it's FREE!
Posted Image

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Leo you mean like the Mcaffee??? I hate that antivirus, I prefer AVG it's free forever and it works..... I'm liking the Acer so far. I need to get a couple more sticks of RAM to go in it to speed it up just a touch, but at the same time it's plenty for what I do.
Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Mcaffee is actually pretty good. But when it is bundled as a trial version with a new PC and you want to use something else it can be very annoying.

And that pretty much goes for any of the bundled trial stuff you have alternative programs for.
Posted Image

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but give Microsoft Security Essentials a look.
1) It's free.
2) It has no advertising or "upgrade requests" (pop-ups, pop-unders, nag screens, etc... none of it).
3) Head-to-head testing articles I've read of the top ten free "anti" software programs (e.g. AVG, Avast!, Comodo, Malwarebytes, Panda Cloud, etc.) actually ranks it second in detection.
4) Since you're on Microsoft Windows already anyway...

I had always installed AVG on any computer that I had to "clean up" for friends and family. But, for the truly computer un-savvy, the little ads telling them to "upgrade now" would throw them off. So, I had actually switched to installing Avast!, as well as using it myself. In my experience, it has the best blend of detection rate, removal rate, and easy, yet powerful, user interface. The one drawback was that it requires users to renew the free license annually. It was at that time you would get the ads about "upgrading" to the paid version. But, in two minutes, once re-registered, you wouldn't see anything again for another year. It was great! Unfortunately, in the latest version, Avast! is now forcing an "upgrade" to a trial of the paid version when you have to renew your annual license. You can roll the program back to the free version in only a few minutes, but the option to do so is sort of "hidden in plain sight", if you will, at the bottom of the summary page. Personally, I can't stand stuff like that. It's bad enough even for those who are computer savvy, but it's a nightmare for those who aren't. I've had lots of calls and e-mails from others I installed Avast! for in a panic because they didn't know what to do. Posted Image

So, now, MS Security Essentials is the go to for anyone running XP, Vista, or 7. The only real downside I've seen thus far is that it lacks a few advanced features such as "sandbox" and the ability to set it to turn your computer off after an auto-scan is complete, for example. But, it more than gets the job done in a surprisingly minimalist (especially for MS) way.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Jere I'll definately give MSSE a go, just have to take the time to do so.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users