#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

We are having a little trouble with our computer at home. There seems to be no signal coming from the computer to the monitor at all, except when in safe mode. I've tried starting and restarting the computer, but the screen goes black shortly after the Windows logo pops up. When the screen is black I can see the cursor move, but that's it.

I've tried a different monitor and had the same results. Everything works fine while in safe mode.

Any ideas as to what I can try?
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

It sounds to me like the video card is going down. The MOBO is using "on board" graphics for Safe Mode, hence you have a picture. You need to find out what type your computer takes (AGP, PCI, or PCI Express) and pick up a replacement. Unless it's a gaming computer or it's used for a lot of graphics-intense apps, you should be able to find a suitable replacement, if not upgrade, for pretty cheap these days. They're pretty easy to replace too.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the help Jer. Our computer has an Intel ® 82945G Express Chipset Family chip. Since I pretty much have no knowledge about computer hardware, and reading computer forums makes me more confused, what card do I need (AGP, PCI, or PCI Express)? Thanks for the help!
-Eric

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

After looking around on the internet a while and opening up my case, it looks like the computer has two extra PCI slots and one AGP slot. Any recommendations for a decent video card? It won't be used for any hard core gaming or anything like that
-Eric

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

One thing I would try before replacing the card is reinstalling. There is always a chance that the driver is corrupt. In Safe Mode, use "Device Manager" to locate your display adapter and uninstall it. Then, reboot the system. Allow Windows to attempt to locate and install the latest driver. Again, reboot the system. If the problem is no better, you may wish to go to the website of your current display adapter (nVidia, AMD/ATI, Intel, whomever) and locate the latest driver for your adapter there and download it. (Again, uninstall the adapter in Safe Mode, reboot, then install the driver you downloaded manually rather than allowing Windows to search and install a driver.)

If none of this brings joy, I'd surely replace the card. If your system does not have PCI Express, I would choose AGP over standard PCI. If it were me, I'd hit newegg.com and search "video cards" placing a "tick" next to "AGP" under the search filters on the left hand column. Honestly, I haven't run either an AGP or PCI card in a few years and couldn't hardly recommend a solid choice today.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I agree with Jeremiah. Try and reinstall the display adapter driver first!

If there is nothing currently in the AGP slot and reinstalling the driver does not work. That means your on board GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is dying. If that is the case, could be a sign the motherboard is on it's last legs. A new graphics card won't save it for long.

A basic PNY AGP card would probably run you about $25 from Newegg.

A corrupt driver is the most likely cause. If it is an aging system that is still on XP. You might better save your money for a new PC.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users