• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

http://www.npr.org/b...nsylvania?sc=tw Sounds like the little critters are becoming quite popular because of their unpopularity.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

This is the first I have heard of the black market side of things. I do know that the porcupine population has dramatically increased here. Living in a rural location I can go to two spots that will virtually guarantee at least a sighting of one or more of those prickly beasts. PA started a fisher reintroduction program in 1994 for what I am told was an attempt to control the porcupine population. Apparently our game commission has started to address our porcupine problem by establishing a season on them for the first time in many years. The season is from 1 Sep through Mar 31 with a 6 a day limit. Of course with true conservation in mind the season is closed during the regular firearms deer seasons when most of our hunters are out there.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

They are not any in Ohio but I have seen them out west and up north.
When I went on vacation a couple of years ago in Maine i saw in this one small town all the trees had sheet metal nailed 4 feet up the trunks. I was curious so I asked about it. I guess it suppose to stop the critter from climbing the trees or chewing on them. They told me they were not allowed to kill any in the city limits. But I was also told they do the SSS treatment with them because they are such a problem to their property and homes.

Shot - Shovel & Say nothing
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Paul,
I may be mistaken but I believe that the PGC closed killing porpcupines when the Fisher reintroduction started so as to help the Fishers have an ample supply of their natural main prey. I think they found killing turkeys more to their liking and the PP's population has exploded....Lord knows we have several at camp.....let's invite Rowdy in for Prickly Getogether.Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Phil that sounds like a plan. How about it Rowdy.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Paul,
I may be mistaken but I believe that the PGC closed killing porpcupines when the Fisher reintroduction started so as to help the Fishers have an ample supply of their natural main prey. I think they found killing turkeys more to their liking and the PP's population has exploded....Lord knows we have several at camp.....let's invite Rowdy in for Prickly Getogether.Posted Image

BOARD ESTABLISHES SPECIFIC SEASON FOR PORCUPINES

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners, based on a request from Game Commissioner David Putnam at the Board’s October meeting, and an amendment offered today by Game Commissioner David Schreffler, gave final approval to a specific hunting season for porcupines.
Under the new season, hunters can take porcupines from Sept. 1 through March 31. The daily limit is six and the field possession limit is 12.
Hunters pursuing porcupines may use any legal sporting arm, and must wear 250 inches of fluorescent orange material. Porcupines may be harvested from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.
Among other states in the Northeast that allow the harvesting of porcupines are Maine, Massachusetts and New York, as well as the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.

They are in Ohio also:

http://www.dnr.state...03/Default.aspx

Edited by J Gabel, 11 March 2012 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users