Catfish Hushpuppies dinner yummy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Well all I got a chance to get out and go fishing today BY MYSELF!! LOL I only caught 1 but it was a 22" blue cat that I estimate between 5 and 8 lbs..... I brought it home, skinned and filleted it, and fried it up with a side of crinkle cut fries and hushpuppies.
My question is how do ya'll do the batter for your fish? My recipe is really simple, 80/20 mix of corn meal/flour, salt and pepper to taste inside a bag(double up if you use a wally world shopping bag), drop in the fish, seal the bag and shake to coat.
Semper Fi

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

First I dry off the fillets best I can with a paper towel. The better a job you do drying off the filet before seasoning and breading the better it will stick.

To season, I hold the filet in my hand and sprinkle it thoroughly with Tony Chachere's.

For the breading I use 1/4 cup Cornstarch and 2 cups of flour. The cornstarch helps the breading hold together and helps keep the fish from drying out.

I prefer to use peanut oil to fry them.
Posted Image

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

I also dry the fillets, then dip in stirred up egg, then into flour, then into finely crushed Ritz crackers. Fry in enough oil to float the fillets. outside will be crunchy. Seasonings can be added to the egg mixture.

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

My mistake, Flour, then the egg dip, then the crackers

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Now that right there makes me hungry. What time is supper.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

I use flour blended with crushed pepper, the reds, greens and white. There is just enough black peppercorns in there to give it a little color. Then garlic granules, cayenne pepper, Hungarian paprika and a good dose of Montreal steak spice. I dredge my fillets in this brew and fry them in a blend of olive oil and butter. I then add lips and teeth.
Another way that I do them is to fill the cavity with a mix of the above, minus the flour, and a bunch of minced onions and liquid hickory smoke. I then wrap them in tin foil and either the oven or the BBQ gets to cook em up. Same scenario, add lips and teeth and enjoy. Posted Image Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Catfish, Hushpuppies, dinner, yummy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users