Germophobes Are Wrong.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I read an article today that confirmed what I knew all along, we're disinfecting ourselves to death. It pointed out that Harvard researchers did a study where they concluded that early childhood MINOR illnesses contributed to lower levels of invarient Natural Killer Tcells(iNKT), which could later lead to illnesses themselves. (such as irritable bowel syndrome and autoimmune diseases) This only furthered my thought that "Kids Need Dirt!" I know I'm not alone in this mindset, however, I was wanting to get ya'lls ideas on it. I'm not saying kids need to live in filth, but rather it's ok to let kids get dirty, and that you don't have to kill ALL the bacteria on EVERYTHING your children touch. I grew up in the '80's and I spent most of my summers running barefoot through the woods, if I got stickers or thorns in my feet I'd sit down, dig them out with my pocketknife which I had probably not washed since skinning a catfish a few days earlier, and go on about my day. I also endured countless cases of roadrash, plenty of cuts scrapes, bruises and no telling what all else. I survived. Eating dirt was part of being a kid back then whether on purpose or because of showing off on a bicycle or whatever dumb move I might have pulled as a child. I think we need a movement to let kids get out and play and get dirty more often somewhere other than the carefully manicured ballfields of organized sports. When I was a kid if we'd had someone with the food allergies some kids have now, that kid would have DIED..... My sister-in-law was telling me a while back about a child at the school she teaches at that if someone eats a PB&J sandwich and breathes too close to him it will send him into anaphylactic shock......Seriously?? Peanut Butter?? What's next an allergy to beef broth??? Kids today are being robbed of their childhood because of our dependance on technology, and disinfectants. I say we put down the Lysol and start feeding our kids garden soil...... They'll be better off in the long run.
Semper Fi

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

There really are a very few kids that have no resistance to certain things but other than that I agree with you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Too true, Terry. We would throw cow pies at each other, a mouthfull of mud on the wipeout of the bicycle or dirt bike, eat sandwiches with hands that were located in questionable locations that were never washed. We never got sick, other than the norms, measles and chicken pox. When the horses did their thing, we had better ammo, and we were HEALTHY and HAPPY.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Actually there are quite a few useful bacteria that you actually want in your system. These super anti-bacterial cleaners do not discriminate between good and bad bacteria. They kill everything!

Ironically that's anti-bacterial cleaners dirty little secret Posted Image Your digestive system really needs certain bacteria to function properly. That's why we now have this rash of Pro-biotic foods. Pro-biotic is the term for good bacteria. Many folks are also re-discovering acidophiles to improve digestion. We are putting the bacteria back in our system that we killed off in the first place. In fact certain bacteria strains are noticeably absent in the intestinal tract of people who contract certain types of cancer. The guy who noticed this can't prove it prevents the cancer but it does appear to have a correlation.

For that matter, I don't believe this plague of antacid use and ulcers is all stress related either.

Yeah if I just got finished cleaning out the septic tank I will wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap. Same goes for if I have been handling raw meat. But for showering and general cleaning up I'll stick with plain old Ivory soap.
Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Leo, that's exactly the point the article was trying to make. Over use of the antibacterials is hurting us more than helping.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users