3 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

i just bought a pardner protector, and will be using it for home defense as well as a camping (hiking) gun. what would be the best for it in case i run up on a bear that decides to take me out? i'm gonna load buck shot for the home but don't know which would be best for bear. i live in kentucky and coyoties will be my major threat but those black bears sightings are starting to happen more often as well as wild hogs, so i waNT TO BE PREPARED. thanks

Edited by old fart, 28 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

My two cents. For what it's worth.

Buckshot is quite lethal but it does not have as much stopping power as a slug. Sure if you hit something in the head with buckshot, it's going down, right there, but on a center of mass shot unless you hit the spine, buckshot isn't stopping anything big as a bear very quickly.

There is virtually zero advantage on multiple pellets versus a single slug at ranges ten yards or under. Even with a very open choke the pellets don't really start spreading until about 15 yards. Essentially if you are going to miss with one, you'll miss with many at that range.
Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

What Leo said. Have used buckshot. It don't impress me. When you see the internal damage that a slug will do, you will be converted.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

In my book buckshot is used after you use up all your slugs.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users