7 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

i have a pardner pump protector and will be using it for home defense as well as a hiking and camping gun and possibly a close range deer gun. i was thinking of putting a pistol grip on it as it would shorten it for hiking, but for home defense and deer hunting i don't know. what do ya'll think?, leave the factory stock on or put a pistol grip on. i know there are folding stocks too and that would give me both but they're more expensive. so would ya'll put a pistol grip on, leave it alone or put a folding stock thats got the pistol grip or regular stock choice? thanks

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

I'd go with the folder, that way you've got what you need when you need it. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen an adjustable length "tactical" buttstock with a pistolgrip before too. (pull it out longer for hunting, push in shorter for defense and hiking.)
Semper Fi

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'd leave it the way it is. Or...sell it and buy a revolver. In other posts, you wondered about slugs or buckshot for hogs and bears, the general consensus, in that scenario, with your gun as is, was slugs. Now you are adding "Home Defense" into the mix, along with gun modifications. New Ballgame. I would not choose slugs for "Home defense" as one might shoot through your walls and kill everyone in your neighborhood. Pistol grips look cool, one added to the pump-even cooler. But can you hit anything shooting from the hip-chest? Pointing,not aiming? I think Terry had a good idea about the folding stock. A way better option than just pistol grips. Do you like the gun? Or was this really just an impulse purchase and now you are trying to make lemonade from lemons? If so, money shouldn't be an object for something to protect yourself. We don't use kite string for rock climbing ropes because it's cheaper.

#4 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

i love the gun, i've shots slugs through it and out to 50yds its a game getter. but this is my first pump gun and never had one that i could add other things to. i guess i'm watching too much you tube, the guns just look cool with the pistol grip but i guess i need a gun that i can shoot accurately when i need to. thanks

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Several years ago I was having trouble with my wrist when I had to hold my Win 1300 in turkey season. I bought an aftermarket pistol grip stock from cabelas I believe it was Advanced Technologies but it sure helped my wrist when I have to hold that gun up for an extended period. The stock does not fold or collapse but serves me very well.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

I would leave it be myself!
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#7 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

UPDATE: i couldn't decide on what to do as i wanted a pistol grip to take hiking and camping but needed a stock for deer hunting. my nephew solved my problem, i had a old winchester 22 that my nephew has wanted for a long time, he offered to get me another pardner pump plus my pistol grip and a pistol forgrip. i agreed so i now have a full stock deer shotgun and one with a hogue pistol grip and a tac star forgrip. i fired it yesterday and with field loads and reduced recoil buckshot it wasn't bad at all, i fired slugs it kicked pretty good, but the hogue grip seems to help with recoil. all in all i like it and i have a short 27.75 inch gun that i can just sling across my back, which is good i'm a short guy and a real long gun doesn't fit me well. thanks

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

That's cool. Now you don't have to settle. LOL Congrats.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users