9 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

I found a decent spot last spring when I got out yet. Found hens with poults since I only got out once at the end of the season. Im DYING to go back this year but on opening day. Its a small grassy field off a logging road that has a small pond about 150 yrds away down the trail. Down hill from the area is a patch of pines along a small spring. Its a bit of a hike to get back to. I've been walking on all my breaks at work to get ready to beat the crowd.

Whats everyone else up to?

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've only been one weekend so far this season out of state at that. Lost my regular place to go because the landowner had to lease the hunting rights out to the guy that was farming the place.

I got rained on hard the first morning. The evening hunt I was cut short and had to quit early. I managed to call a good bird in Sunday morning but he got hung up 70 yards out on a pasture I did not have permission to hunt. I watched him walk into another pasture that bordered no land I had permission for.

Frustrating!
Posted Image

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Countdown on a huge "Honey Do" project has cut my preseason scouting to nil so I'm stuck relying on past seasons areas. I spend the PA opening day at camp with Woodhick/Eric/Judd chasing big mountain birds. LOL...traded for the rights to an elk & antelope trip this fall in exchange for a new deck on the house which is 1/2 way completed ...and a trip to Florida right in the heart of Spring Gobbler seasonPosted Image ..gonna be in overdrive the next two weeks!
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Monday the wife and I are heading to Kansas and their season opens on next Wednesday. I have no opportunity to scout out there but have several locations to explore that have produced in the past. Eric and I have been really busy working on several garden tractors and have a couple of triaxle loads of wood to get cut, split and stacked. I will be in Kansas till later in the month and will have to hurry back to make PAs opener too. Then it will be up at O Dark thirty stumble to a spot and kill a big one.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I am so ready, may not get out much but I enjoy it when I do. Is it Saturday yet?

#6 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Casters had a great spring gobbler opening day. I am not saying alot but lots of turkeys heard some deer and turkeys seen some shots fired. A nice brunch and lots of fun with the guys.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Kansas hunting was unfruitful this year as numbers were down. I did work several gobblers but with the folage so thick and the birds henned up I did not shoot. I had several opportunities but all but one were jakes. The one was a very big tom that only stuck his head out of the underbrush but was behind a steel fencepost and I decided rather than risk a wound or miss held my fire. This is not the first encounter with this particular bird and he has won every encounter over the past several years. I did have him in range once but he was in a tree and in Kansas that is illegal. Opening day in PA I heard 3 different birds sound off but they were a long way off and clammed up when they hit the ground.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

I went out Monday to a spot that has produced for both Eric and I over the years but all was silent. I did not go out today as it was raining and I dislike hunting in the rain.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Sorry you didn't have better luck Diganali. Missed seeing you and Judy.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

You are not the only one to have missed our meeting. We are planning a Sept trip so watch out we may be a comming then. I had a gobbler come in this morning but he hung in the brush and walked right past me and did not stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users